Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #11 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Jungle's Fizz tabs are a good choice, they aren't harsh on the fish at all. If he still has SBD trouble after treatment then it is most likely due to diet. Hikari used to be a respectable brand, it's just no good now. I'm glad he's feeling a bit better already. You can try not treating him for a day or two to see if he'll recover all on his own.
Thankyou soo much for the tips. I unfortunately wasn't able to get the Jungle Fizz tabs until Sunday instead of Friday because i was too busy with work and what not. I did continue treatment with Betta Revive and Un-Iodized sea salt until I got the meds though as a preventative. I figured it was a good idea just in case it was something else. After 2-3 days with betta revive, his tummy did swell up again. Due to this I know for sure it's not something else, unless it was parasites or SBD due to whatever causes that where mentioned.

As soon as I got the meds I did a 100% water change and have been treating him with them for the past 3-4 days. I'm seeing improvement.... Thankyou. ^_^ His tummy is not swelling as much and I have switched him to Tetra min tropical crushed flakes right now to help ease with his digestion. This food is just temporary as the only other food I have right now is Hikari Pellets and Tetra Betta Flakes which he won't touch.

I also noticed yesterday when I awoke that he was sleeping at the bottom of his QT tank for the first time since I got him. It scared me at first, making me think he was dead because I'm so used to him resting at the surface...Lol! I also caught a glimpse or two of him wandering around in his QT tank without floating at the surface for a bit. When i looked more closely at him he didn't seem to be having hardly any problems with trying to swim down or relax in mid-level water. He still seems to favor the water surface for relaxation though. Maybe he just needs to get used to his new found ability since he's been having SBD symptoms for a while now? I hope this was only due to parasites and that he'll make a full recovery.

Also, once he gets better, I think I'd like to place him on a mostly well rounded flake diet to help with digestion. Would the tropical flakes that I'm currently feeding him be a good choice or is there another flake food made for Betta's that's made with good quality ingredients? I will look into foods that contains real fish products as the first few ingredients as well, like you stated Darkmoon. I'm just thinking that if he may still continue to have problems digesting pellets afterword due to how they expand after the Betta eats it. I've also heard that they can cause little air bubbles to get traped in his digestive system. Thankyou.

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 08-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Good to hear he's going well. It's difficult to diagnose fish. Sometimes I wish it was just as easy as taking them to the local vet to find out what's wrong.

Two good brands on the market are New Life Spectrum and Omega One. New Life Spectrum is probably the best. I use the 1mm Community Fish Formula and supplement it with frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms, as well as live blackworms.

The colour on my bettas has really intensified using this brand of food. The only downside is that it can be a little bit more expensive than the generic pet store and LFS brands.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #13 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Good to hear he's going well. It's difficult to diagnose fish. Sometimes I wish it was just as easy as taking them to the local vet to find out what's wrong.

Two good brands on the market are New Life Spectrum and Omega One. New Life Spectrum is probably the best. I use the 1mm Community Fish Formula and supplement it with frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms, as well as live blackworms.

The colour on my bettas has really intensified using this brand of food. The only downside is that it can be a little bit more expensive than the generic pet store and LFS brands.
Ok..I'll look into it and hopefully one of the stores sell it around here.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote