Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #11 
yossarian

alright calm down im not hitler. I had planned it with another 20 gallon but a pair of apistogrammas miraculously bred in another tank- on the same night. ive tried to give away as many as i could but nobody wants them... anyway i will cull them i guess but they are cute and have just put it off. i will do daily water changes as well. thanks for the advice. it was just an accident. i will use an aneasthetic oil to kill them.

Last edited by yossarian; 08-01-2011 at 05:52 AM.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #12 
bby1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
alright calm down im not hitler. I had planned it with another 20 gallon but a pair of apistogrammas miraculously bred in another tank- on the same night. ive tried to give away as many as i could but nobody wants them... anyway i will cull them i guess but they are cute and have just put it off. i will do daily water changes as well. thanks for the advice. it was just an accident. i will use an aneasthetic oil to kill them.

........ Lost for words...
bby1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #13 
cajunamy
Banned

why? culling is a part of breeding, and if you aren't willing to cull, you don't breed. simple as that.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #14 
bby1984

If you aren't willing to breed responsibly you should not breed! Not sure if I could accidently breed my bettas Pretty sure I would know what I was doing...But I guess everyone is different.

Please don't condone this type of ignorant, irrisponsible behavior... Mentors on this site do a good job trying to educate others about the right ways to care for bettas. That is one of the reasons I chose to become a member of the community. That includes those that we as humans CHOOSE to bring into the world. There is a place in the hobby for culling. In this case it's like smothering or drowning puppyies you breed for... What reason?.. because you suddenly can't care for them any longer. In this case it most defiantly could have been avoided. At the very least I hope someone has learned something positive here? I'm still trying to figure out what I can take from this.

*End rant* Sorry...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #15 
yossarian

jeez, i accidently bred apisto's not bettas, they are hard if not impossible to breed in the water conditions i have, how could i accidently breed bettas? and im not against culling they were so small they didnt look squashed in the tank and i had no idea about this hormone thing, you guys are experienced but all i had was the google searches and nothing told me about the hormone thing, i was intending to use my other tanks once i had identified the females, i had no idea they wouldnt grow. my hitler joke was not about culling it was about your over reaction to me not preparing, I WAS PREPARED FOR THE BETTAS NOT FOR THE APISTO'S, THE INFORMATION I RECIEVED SAID THAT A 12GALLON AND A 20 GALLON WOULD BE FINE, BUT THE APISTOS HAD FRY AND I HAD TO USE THE 20 FOR THEM. THAT WAS THE ACCIDENT NOT BREEDING THE BETTAS. im an idiot for being sarcastic through text but its a habit, i didnt mean to get on the wrong side of any of you wonderful people.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #16 
bby1984

I'm sorry if I came out too harsh. You seemed to know what part of your problem was before asking (grow out tank size and water conditions). If you were not willing to provide these things you should have waited. I feel strongly that if you breed any kind of animal you need to do it right and make sure that you know what is involved before doing so. I also feel that the responsible thing in this case would be to own up and properly care for the life that you helped to create, as simply increasing water changes and feeding them a more nutritious diet at this point would help to alleviate your problem. Although it may be a little early for some, you could also start jarring them to help them all grow except if doing more frequent communal water changes is too much work at the moment I am not sure how you would handle jarring? That said, I get that you bit off more than you could chew with your other fish accidently spawning at the same time.... I am not trying to scare anyone away. =/ I am glad you found this forum and learned that you were/are not properly caring for your spawn. At the very least you will know there is more you need to learn if/before you attempt again. If you do ever choose to try again no one can stop you but I hope that you are prepared, and have contingencies for unexpected life events, as things often find a way to go wrong.

I am curious as to your reason for deciding to breed betta… I am wondering if you found homes for your betta before you decided to spawn them? I also wonder why, if you did your research, you only have BBS and powdered foods available to you to feed them, and how you were planning on weening them off of BBS, as not many people will take betta until they have been weaned off of live food. Again, I am not trying to gang up on you I am just genuinely curious. I encourage you to roam the forums for a little while because answers to many of the questions you have about betta breeding and things you need to learn are answered here in various places. There are several threads in the breeding section that talk about growth hormone and a sticky dedication to proper nutrition and live foods. If you decide to take ownership and properly care for at least some of your betta there are people here to help you. If you decide to keep even one of them alive at the very least you need to give them a better diet as BBS is not very nutritious in and of itself. I hope this all works out for you!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #17 
Creat

This got violent fast...
I agree with OFL as usual but I am slightly curious as I have been thread lurking, I understand if I am correct this breeding was an accident, I get that sometimes we dont plan for these things, but I feel that somehow you could give them a little more attention.... or did you mean these wernt bred by you you are just housing them... In any case, I mean why cant you do any more water changes that would be the cheapest answer with the biggest outcome... All thats being asked is to change the water more to remove the hormones in the water... and my biggest concern would be that once the males grow larger they will become more violent in such a smaller space, I agree jarring would help but they require the same amount of water changes over all...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #18 
yossarian

the reason i bred is because i never see crowntails of the quality i have, in my city. I randomly found a big crowntail, blue black and red and he is really energetic. I then found a combtail female again great personality blue and red, i asked if the lfs would take juveniles and they said as long as they are not deformed so i went ahead.
I have lost £80 trying to ship ct's from thailand with no luck, shipping got lost in germany- no refund. I have bought crowntails here but they are always heavily inbred and deformed. I saw the opportunity to propogate good ct's/combtails into the lfs and took it.
i have decided to do the waterchanges but im doing lots of tanks now and i have exams. but its quite relaxing anyway i guess i was just being lazy. nothing lead me to believe that a bbs only diet was bad. For my adults i feed, live foods daphnia, fruitflies, then frozen bloodworms and dried snacks but the fry would only accept bbs. they are now beginning to eat the skinniest bloodworms but i know that those can cause bloat so i wont go crazy. I hope that diet is enough to grow them. I have a daphnia culture but it doesnt produce fast enough for the fry.

ps i got the spawn size wrong there was only about 60, i culled down to about 30.

Last edited by yossarian; 08-05-2011 at 12:50 PM.