Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

Excessive slime coat, sloughing the slime coat is usually an indication of an irritant of some type...either from the water itself, external parasites-even salt can cause this reaction.....watch for other symptoms like flashing, stops eating, hiding , becomes lethargic....etc.....if you haven't already...make a water change....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #22 
masshiimarro

i do water changes twice a day for this guy, since hes in the little walmart cup floating in his tank right now. as to irritants, i cant imagine what would be irritating him, unless its salt. theres a bit of salt in there becuase originally i thought his fins had issues, but if it was the slime coat being irritated should i take out the salt and just leave his water as is?
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Sodium chloride (aquarium salt) is irritating to the fish-but-that is what you want it to do....this make the fish create more slime coat for protection, healing....etc.....

Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) is usually not irritating as bad as the NaCl

Heavy metals in the water can be irritating and chlorine, chloramine...all an irritant that can cause excessive slime coat...you also have external parasites but you usually will see flashing and over medicating and over use of a lot of different chemicals in the tank can cause excessive slime coat production.....

What all are you using in the water...I would not change the water more than once a day even in the small temporary container.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #24 
masshiimarro

currently the water is treated with aquasafe and has just a pinch of AQ salt.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote