Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

New Betta going down hill :(

So Thursday I rescued two walmart betta's, a VT male with obvious signs of Ammonia burns who I have named Chile and who is doing amazing, and a little white boy (bought as a female) who has obvious signs of SBD, he hasnt eaten (Chile has) and when I woke up this morning the little guy was on his side, thinking he was dead, I put the cup in the water to remove him, then he started flipping around came to the surface (on his back)and kind of sunk back to the bottom, I am treating him with 1 tsp of espom salt per gallon of water, 100% water changes daily, and he hasnt eaten (he is REALLY thin)
What can I do to help him?

(tank temp is 78)

pic is from the first day I got him, I have moved him back into the cup I got him in...

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

Try BettaRevive if you have it in your area. I had a female VT from petco who looked totally normal but just refused to eat for like a week! I put in bettarevive, and she ate the next day. Also, same thing with this new petco "rescue" with popeye... looked DEAD in the store, thought he might die last night, put him in a QT with bettarevive and today he is swimming around and trying to eat. It's a good "in-between" med until you can get something more aggressive/specific to the disease, and sometimes (like in the case of 2 of my female bettas) it is ALL they need to jump start them back to normality. Do it for at least 3 days, with daily 100% water changes. It prevents and controls protozoans, fungal, and bacterial diseases... but as far as I know, does not *cure* any.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

I thought there was something in that could damage Betta's labrinth organ... which I suspect is already damaged with him, and that is not sold in my area... all I have is a walmart and that is the city over
Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #4 
smellsfishie

Hmm, I haven't heard of it damaging the labryth organ? But i think any medication is a risk, and potentially could kill or harm them if administered incorrectly.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

Im not sure it is the bettarevive.. but its one of the betta "meds", it contains tea tree oil or something that damaged the labrinth organ, regardless of if you administar it correctly or not, from what I remember, it doesnt normally cause damage in just one use, but if the organ is lready damaged...

good new, I put the little guy in the cup I got him in with some of his tank water and I am floating it in 2.5 gal tank which is slightly warmer (79-80), he is now back at the top breathing slowly but his body is shaped like an "S" :(
Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 
smellsfishie

Oh, bettarevive doesn't have tea tree oil...

Well, best of luck to your guy. Hope someone else on here has some good answers for you.