Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #11 
TinaMaxis

I found one of those at Petco online, but it doesn't state the gallons for each of the sizes(small, medium, large) is the largest one the 3 gallon?
http://www.petco.com/product/12031/P...t=OnSiteSearch

Also, if I get a three gallon, how often do I do water changes if I don't get a filter, like every three days or so? Can I get a heater for the critter keeper?
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #12 
Littlebittyfish

I believe the large is the 3 gallon one...I do two water changes weekly on my 3 gallon..one 50% and then one 100%.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #13 
TinaMaxis

Oh ok, thanks. How can I put a heater in there, though? And can someone explain what air stone's are all about? What's do they do, improve water flow?

Last edited by TinaMaxis; 08-08-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #14 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMaxis View Post
Oh ok. Hey can someone explain what air stone's are all about? What's the point of them?
Airstones are used to add oxygen into the water. Bettas don't necessarily have to have them as they have the labrynth organ. They do however help give oxygen to the good bacteria thats in a cycled tank and are a really good thing to have if you have fish like tetras that can only get oxygen from the water. I have/had (the stone broke so have to get a new one) in with my tetras and glofish and it will go in with my bettas once he's cured and the tetras are switched over, but atm my betta doesnt have one and he's perfectly fine :)
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #15 
TinaMaxis

Oh thanks. Good to know! :) So I found a five gallon for sale on craigslist, for ten dollars, the seller lives nearby, so I might get that, yay! Is it alright if I don't have a filter for that? I know I still need a heater. And would changing 50% of the water twice a week be ok? Would only once a week be fine, too?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #16 
TinaMaxis

Ok, I'm actually getting a six gallon! Yay! It's still for ten dollars, from someone else, and the very kind lady says she can drop it off at my place! It works out perfectly. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get some gravel for it, and whatever else I can afford. :D
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #17 
dsgems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMaxis View Post
I feel like that's a stupid question. I know I should add it every water change, but right now I've got a male that I'm keeping in a one gallon bowl. :( I can't get anything bigger until September.. and I've got one more water conditioning tablet left and I need that for my ten gallon's water change. So the problem is I can't keep buying water conditioner because I don't have a car to get to the pet store whenever I need, so I don't know when I'll be able to get some more as the nearest Petco will be over an hour and a half on the bus. I'm changing my male's water every day, all of it, and I don't know what to do, because today I didn't add water conditioner. Is it ok? Will he be ok until next month if I can't get any more?

If it is chlorine you are worried about, just leave a container of water sit open for a couple of days. the chlorine will evaporate leaving the water chlorine free. It is still better to use the conditioner for other conditions.
Best of luck

Last edited by dsgems; 08-08-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: left out a word
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote