Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Bloated Female

This is a repost from an Australian-based forum, but thought it couldn't hurt to post here as well.

One of my female bettas has been severely bloated for the past week or so. At first I thought she was eggy, but now Iím thinking itís something more serious.

I recently had a male in another tank suddenly bloat up and pass away. However, aside from a grossly distended stomach he was active and eating until the day before he passed. His stomach looked full of fluid, but there was no pineconing at any point. (Here's a link to that thread).

She is in quarantine, and has currently, been de-wormed with Avitrol (levamisole-based wormer), and given a bath in Epsom salts. Sheís also been given Praziquantel soaked bloodworms in case the Avitrol didnít catch it.

I was browsing around a few overseas betta sites and the words Ďinternal hexamitaí popped up several times in regards to bloated bettas. I know metronidazole is used to treat this, but it doesnít seem like itís readily available in Australia.

Does anyone know what this might be? I was originally going to drop by my LFS and pick up some kind of anti-bacterial medication, but now Iím not sure. Can I go to the vet and get a prescription for metro? Our vet is used to our craziness (they operated on our orphaned bantam chick once) so I think if I asked they could probably write out a prescription.

Also, Iíve noticed that a few of my bettas always look skinny in spite of the fact they have a good diet of New Life Spectrum pellets and assorted frozen foods. Their colouring is always excellent and they are always very active, they just canít seem to put weight on.

I de-wormed one of my males after he starting pineconing with Avitrol and he recovered, but even now heís still skinny. My wilds are completely fine; itís just my Splendens that seem affected. Could I have a worm/parasite problem? Nearly all of my affected bettas have come from the same place so could it be something they picked up there?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #2 
Sakura8

First, if you do get a prescription for metro, it should be administered orally via food. So your best bet, if possible, is to get Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. Those have metro in them. Otherwise, you will need to soak bloodworms or something like that in a metro solution and feed it that way. I would PM DarkMoon17 for more specifics on using metro as a solution to soak food in. Hmm. I am also reading in a fish disease book that metro can be used as a bath for up to ten days to get rid of hexamita, too; again, I'd ask DarkMoon about that. If your bettas have hexamita, and it sounds like they do judging by the symptoms, then Avitrol probably wasn't effective. It sounds like metronidazole is the only medicine that works.

If someone cross-contaminated with equipment, then it makes sense that all your bettas from the same place would be infected. They will all need to be treated.

I hope this info helps and I really hope your bettas get better quickly and that you can get those nasty parasites out of them. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I don't know how readily available Jungle Labs medication is here. It's so frustrating trying to treat diseases when so many ingredients in fish medications are banned or you need a prescription to access them.

I will ask around at my LFS if I get a chance to go there by the weekend. I ordered some anti-bacterial medication online because I wasn't sure if it was bacterial or not, but who knows when that is going to come.

Thanks for the help. I think I will rotate everyone through a basic de-wormer treatment and repeat a week later just to make sure.

It's odd though, that neither female who shared a tank with my sick female and male are sick themselves. Especially one female who shared the tank with another sick fish a while back.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Don't worry about the anti-bacterial meds, it never hurts to have those on hand. I really hope you can find the Junge Labs pellets or some metro. I think other Australian posters have had some success finding the pellets but they may have been in a different city or part of Australia.

Maybe some of your fish have built up a strong resistance to the parasites. It depends on the ones who got sick. If they were stressed for some reason (and who knows why fish get stressed, sometimes), their immune system would be a little lower and they might be more susceptible to disease.

I hope you can find the right treatment. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote