Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #1 
Vaughan06

New Betta Owner, Seeking Opinions

I bought my first Betta fish (crowntail) about a month ago, and taking care of him has become a new hobby for me.

Since I am new to this, I just wanted to post everything I have been doing to take care of him and see if I am doing it right. I will post pictures soon to better show his living conditions, but until then I'll do my best with words.

Home: 2.5 gallon Bettawave tank
Food: Tetra Betta pellets, Freeze-Dried Bloodworms, and Bettamin
Heater: Keeps water at about 76-78 degrees (I keep my house cold 68 degrees, so I had to buy a heater for the tank)
Environment: 3 plants and 1 shipwreck
Medicine: Haven't had to buy any yet.
Water: I use tap water and condition it with Tetra Bettasafe.
Cleaning: I change about 1/4 of the water every week, and I have done a full water change twice (once because a decoration caused the water to change color).

I have a feeling I'm doing a lot wrong, but he seems to be happy and energetic.

I noticed the 2nd week I had him he hid in the shipwreck for a long time, and I think it was because the inside had an air pocket and he didn't need to come out. But now, he never hides and never goes inside it. Is that normal?

Thanks for any input.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

It looks like you are doing a lot of things spot on!

You do need to increase the amount of water changes. At least a 50% twice a week. I like to do 75% on my 2 gallons twice a week.

When you run out of the Tetra Bettasafe you could switch to Prime and save because you only need 2 drops per gallon. However, that is just a personal preference. The Tetra stuff is fine.

Get a PH test kit. Normally I would just say that your betta will adjust to the PH from your normal tap water so don't even think about it, but because he is a crowntail his fins might end up curling if the PH is too high. If it is higher than 7.2, PM Oldfishlady and ask her how to safely lower the PH in your tank.

Variety is the spice of life, so if you can get frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms your fish will probably love you forever. Just remember that the freeze-dried bloodworms are like popcorn: they might taste good, but they are not all that good for your either. Make sure they are just treats. Frozen keeps more nutrients.

I have a fish that likes to try to commit betta suicide by staying in his little dome and breathing from an air bubble... However, it sounds like your boy was just getting used to his new home. Sounds like he is very comfortable now!

Keep up the great work! I can't wait for pictures!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #3 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
It looks like you are doing a lot of things spot on!

You do need to increase the amount of water changes. At least a 50% twice a week. I like to do 75% on my 2 gallons twice a week.

When you run out of the Tetra Bettasafe you could switch to Prime and save because you only need 2 drops per gallon. However, that is just a personal preference. The Tetra stuff is fine.

Get a PH test kit. Normally I would just say that your betta will adjust to the PH from your normal tap water so don't even think about it, but because he is a crowntail his fins might end up curling if the PH is too high. If it is higher than 7.2, PM Oldfishlady and ask her how to safely lower the PH in your tank.

Variety is the spice of life, so if you can get frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms your fish will probably love you forever. Just remember that the freeze-dried bloodworms are like popcorn: they might taste good, but they are not all that good for your either. Make sure they are just treats. Frozen keeps more nutrients.

I have a fish that likes to try to commit betta suicide by staying in his little dome and breathing from an air bubble... However, it sounds like your boy was just getting used to his new home. Sounds like he is very comfortable now!

Keep up the great work! I can't wait for pictures!
Well, I work at Walmart (temp. job, leave for the USAF in Oct.) so everything I have comes from there (basically Tetra or Aqua brand products). Another thing I forgot to mention was the "bubbles" he makes. Some weeks he produces enough bubbles to cover half the surface of the tank, and weeks like this one he hasn't produced any. I've read mixed theories about the bubbles, but what do they mean?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Well like I said, whatever works for you will work for your fish. :)

A bubble nest just means that your betta is happy. The nests are used when a betta is ready to breed (but this does not mean that your betta needs to breed to be happy!). However, just because he does not make one does not mean he is unhappy or unhealthy.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #5 
Abby

Bubble nests ROCK!
next time he makes one get photos XD of course i wanna see this lil man i have 3 crown tails myself ;)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #6 
Vaughan06

I don't have the best camera, but I did what I could. Resizing these photos in order to post them is very time consuming. I can't resize the photos on these forums, so if there is an Admin. or Moderator who can please help me out. You may notice he is in 2 different places; I use a half gallon kit to keep him in while I clean his main 2.5 gallon home.

Last edited by Vaughan06; 08-09-2011 at 09:05 AM.