Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #1 
Monicapink11

Unhappy Betta fish sick???

Is this normal Betta behavior? He darts up and down the tank from time to time, usually wham he sees me. (He's sluggish the rest of the time) He also got silver under his mouth and around his gills. Even his eves got a bit cloudy in one part. The silver seemed to fade a little (very little. Teeny tiny) when I did a 100% water change today.

I recorded a video. If anyone wishes to see it I can send it to their email. Any advice is appreciated...
Monicapink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

If you will complete this and copy and paste to your post we can help you better....the more information we have the better....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #3 
Monicapink11

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82-84
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No. (If I were to put a heater in he'd fry )
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin flakes and some pellets the petstore gave me when I bought him
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None. I use filtered water.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? -

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Colors have faded a bit, has silver under the mouth and a bit of cloudiness on his eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darting up and down tank walls
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? -
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. Two days after I bought him he had white fuzzy patches and I treated him with Bettafix and Melafix.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him on July and the petstore didn't tell me so I have no idea. He looks pretty young though...
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Tell me more about your source water used for the fish.....Filtered water....what kind......are you still using a dechlorinator.....
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #5 
Monicapink11

At our kitchen we have a water filter. Instead of drinking the tap water from the faucet, we drink the one from the filter. I dont use dechlorinator...
Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The problem with the home water filters is-one, if not properly maintained you will still have small amounts of chlorine/chloramine, two, they usually only change one Ion for another that is worse for the long term health for the fish, three, they can stripe the needed minerals the fish needs for long term health...

I would get some dechlroinator and bypass the water filter system and start 25% daily water changes with the bypassed dechlorinated like temp water...make these 25% water changes for 2 days-then 50% for 2 days..then get on a regular schedule water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning with vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality.....be sure and give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month......
Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #7 
Monicapink11

Thanks!

Tags
betta, odd behavior, sick betta fish