Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1 
Myates

Question AQ Salt use?

I will get pics up when I can, but was wondering if using AQ salt can be harmful if there is no definate disease?
Spyro's tail has turned dark over the last day or so, about 1/4-1/3 of his tail is now either black or dark blue. (He is a red CT). His top fin has very little light blue coloring on the tips, so having blue on him isn't surprising if it's just him changing colors due to move/new home. I believe they have gotten a little shorter, but hard to tell since he's just now starting to swim about and eat healthy. Hoping it's not fin rot.
So was wondering if it was safe to put something into his tank as a precautionary step? Unsure exactly what to use that would be okay, and have heard wonders about the salt.

1 gal QT, unheated but temp fluxes between 77-80. Water is conditioned, he was put in on Sunday, will get a 100% change today. (normal routines are 100% every other day to every 3 days max).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 
Myates

Also for fin melt, would the salt be beneficial? I believe Xander has it, been since I rescued him. Looks like how another poster has.. Free Willy.. top of the dorsal is curled downward. He's healthy, very active and a hog.. just want them to be as healthy as possible.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Im not sure if the AQ salt helps with fin melt or fin curling, but, I have a betta, Chile, whos fins were curl when I got him (bad ammonia burns also) to help,I currently have him in an AQ salt mixture, Im doing daily 100% water changes, and I added extra water and coat conditionor (as per directions for fin damage)
from what I know, AQ salt will have no ill effects

(My boy Chile)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 
Myates

Okay thanks, will try it and see :)