Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 
Dozzem

Question Moss ball, ghost shrimp, snail or bubbler??

I have hear of all of these one the site and their sucses storys. I have a 2gal kritter keeper, a light, no heater (non is needed its 73 right now) and no filter.

I would just LOVE a friend for him without going bigger with the tank.

can someone please give me info of these things?
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

You can add a moss ball AND a ghost shrimp (if your tank has a cover, the shrimps like to jump), moss balls elp eliminate ammonia and provide oxygen while the shrimps eat fallen food and have a bio-load of almost 0
the tank isnt big enough for a snail though (poop machines)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #3 
Dozzem

:D hehe poop machines.I have a cover :D Is bio-load poo? X3 How do I care for them? What dose a moss ball do?

hehehe so many questons!!!

Last edited by Dozzem; 08-09-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Nom noming
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozzem View Post
:D hehe poop machines.I have a cover :D Is bio-load poo? X3 How do I care for them? What dose a moss ball do?

hehehe so many questons!!!
lol, yup, bio-load is poop... not much to care for, they eat fallen pellets or flakes, if your betta's like my girl (complete food hog) I feed her and then toss something in for the shrimps (flake food and sometimes a pea... make sure your betta doesnt eat it!)
Be careful with them durng water changes, they will jump the SECOND they get (if you use a netto get them out, keep your hand over the net, if youput thm in a container, put a lid on it)
moss balls are just a fuzzy plant, they breath in CO2 and release oxygen (which fish breath) they also "eat" the ammonia, and absorb a lot of debris (poop, once a week or so you just have to put them in a seperate container and GENTLY squeze them to getany gunk out) there is a thread about moss ball care you can read

oh, and the shimp will "groom" the moss ball
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #5 
Dozzem

That sounds AWESOmE! I would love them both! hehehehehe

I have to go find them. Would they be at petco? How long do they live? Would moss balls be in a packege? hehee more questions!

Last edited by Dozzem; 08-10-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: nom nom nom
Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 
ozakiakemi

Hey guys! Quick question on the moss ball. Are they different than Marimos? I bought not long time ago micro marimbas, that turned out to be moss, and they disintegrated. Another thing that happen was that the algae in my tank is always present, sometimes a lot, sometimes ok, but always there. Do u think that the moss balls were responsible for my algae build up?
Posted via Mobile Device
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozzem View Post
That sounds AWESOmE! I would love them both! hehehehehe

I have to go find them. Would they be at petco? How long do they live? Would moss balls be in a packege? hehee more questions!
Im not sure if they are at petco... I have never been to a petco and I have no idea where one is, but most petstores now sell both.
Ghost shrimp usually live 1-2 years, but before they die they turn WHITE, like paper, so when you go to buy one, dont get a white one
Im not sure about moss balls...
My moss balls I got from petsmart and they came in cups similiar to the ones you get bettas in
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozakiakemi View Post
Hey guys! Quick question on the moss ball. Are they different than Marimos? I bought not long time ago micro marimbas, that turned out to be moss, and they disintegrated. Another thing that happen was that the algae in my tank is always present, sometimes a lot, sometimes ok, but always there. Do u think that the moss balls were responsible for my algae build up?
Posted via Mobile Device
moss balls and the marimos balls are the same thing, I have heard cases of them disenegrating, though this is normally due to fish shredding them (some fish find them to be better toys then friends) also, when moss balls get sick (when they turn brownish or light greenish due to sickness or lac of light/food they will pretty much fall apart)
From what I have heard (and from my experiance) the presence of a moss ball reduces algea, if your tank is in direct contact with sunlight the that would cause the algea

oh, can you post pictures of the algea?
is it fuzzy?
cause moss balls have been known to "fall apart" and then root theirselves on decorations

*its easier to think of these plants as living things as they have a tendency to have a mind of their own*
Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

My moss balls are planning world domination.

I have 5 although one went MIA on me. I have the nano moss balls (they are small, less then 1 inch across) but i got them off ebay from a seller in malaysia. I think i seen them at petco once.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 
Dozzem

Cool :D I have a petco and a petsmart in my area! Petco is easery to get to thou. Thanks ALL :3