Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #11 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Does that rounded bump look anything like the bump on my fish in my avatar? If so, it's perfectly normal. I just learned recently from Fightergirl that it's the caudal peduncle.
Maybe? I had a look at some anatomy pics and the bump is definitely in the area of the *puts on glasses* caudal peduncle.

When I came back from errands today, it was much less pronounced. Does the...er...caudal peduncle get bigger and smaller?

I also found out where the "betta butt" is located - and NOT where I thought it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I always thought it was the, uhm, sperm bank.
Oh my!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I have no idea if the caudal peduncle gets larger or smaller. I can't say I paid much attention before. If it isn't a definite round bump, like what would be a mosquito bite to us, then it's probably normal. If it gets round and more raised, then we can worry.

Haha, I know. It's hard to imagine a butt that's not actually anywhere near the rear.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #13 
fishcurl

I think perhaps I was imagining things with his caudal peduncle bump (heheh, I love saying that). It looks as normal as can be now. Weirdness.

This morning I had my usual long look at his fins. One of his caudal rays looks like he stuck it into a pencil sharpener so it looks like this

------[[[[[[

Where the dashes are the thin point and the [ are the rest of the fin.

What the heck? I swear he likes to do something weird every day to test me. No idea if this is a tear (it doesn't look ratty) or something else.

Hrm
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #14 
Sakura8

I'm glad his caudal penduncle looks normal. I have no real idea about the fin though, no real experience with crowntails. I only have one crowntail and I rarely see his fins flared out normally because he's handicap and scoots around on his tail. Does the ray look like it's curling in or fusing? Or does it look like it's just clamped for some reason? Except for the parts you indicated in the photo, Flambé's fins look pretty normal to me but as I said, I'm no expert with crowntail fins. He looks very handsome, though.

These bettas, they do like messing with our minds, don't they?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #15 
fishcurl

Okay, I swear I'm not seeing things. It's gone again.

I think Flambé is messing with me :/