Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #11 
Mollzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet1993 View Post
I'm glad he's doing better. :) He sounds really cute!
Thanks! He is really cute! I didn't want to have to exchange him for a healthy one :$
Mollzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Clean, warm water is the best way to prevent disease. Also feeding a good high-protein diet with lots of live or frozen foods helps. And if, in the future, you get another betta and you decide to divide a tank, it's a good idea to keep the new betta isolated in his own tank for at least a week before introducing him into a shared tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #13 
Mollzo

I do a half water change every day, and add conditioner to it, and I make sure the water is warm, but not too hot as well. I feed him the flakes that came with the kit. I just wish I knew what the red things are, and how to treat them :( But thank you for all the help :)
Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #14 
Sakura8

If he ever slows down long enough, a pic would be helpful. Post back if the spots spread, become raised, or turn a different color. Or if his behavior changes and he won't eat, becomes lethargic, bloated, or can't swim properly. Your water change schedule sounds great.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #15 
Mollzo

Sure, I'll see if I can get a good one without blitzing anything. Its hard though :( But it looks as though the red things are just below the surface of the scales. And his gills are super red...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Does he look like he's breathing really hard? Red gills are healthy and normal. Because the blood vessels are so close to the surface in gills, the tissue looks really red. Time to worriy is when the gills seem inflamed and he's breathing hard, or when the gills are grayish, whitish, pale pink, or *gulp* black.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #17 
Mollzo

Oh, okay! Thanks. I'm sorry if I seem a little paranoid, I just get a little obsessive when it comes to a new pet 8) But he's doing fine, haven't checked on him yet today, except for afar just to see if he still swimming and hasn't gone belly up, in which he hasn't haha. But thank you for your help :)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #18 
Sakura8

You're welcome. And don't worry, we all get paranoid and worry about our betta babies. I'm a total worrywart when it comes to mine so I understand. I'm glad he's still swimming around.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #19 
Mollzo

Oh good. I started a trend :P I posted pictures of mine on Facebook, and one of my friends really liked it, so she decided to go get one her own :) Beautiful crown tail. And she knows of the site, so I hope she comes here for all her questions :)
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Awesome, you're infecting people with the betta bug. If she comes to the forum, I'm happy to help.