Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
etcher

Heater problem, need help

My hubby bought me this beautiful King Betta (Sultan Jack) and I wanted to make him his own paradise. I put together a wonderful tank (3.5 gallon clear glass apothecary canister) with live plants, rock structures and a cool tiki skull with moss growing out of the top of it's head. I even have Peace Lilies suspended on the sides so he can hide in the dangling roots. As Betta's go, he seems to be in utter bliss; interactive, bubble nests...the whole nine yards!

Of course, I want to keep him in his happy bliss so I've been reading the forums quite a bit to make sure I can maintain. I read over and over that having a heater in the tank is a must! NO PROBLEM! So I go to Walmart this evening and purchase a Tetra Submersible Heater.

I bring it home, meticulously read over the inclosed literature (rinse thoroughly...check...fully submerge for 15 -30 minutes prior to turning on...check...drip loop so not to catch the house on fire...check...plug in...) um; nothing happened.

Okay, retrieve box and instructions looking for an answer and I quote, "Indicator light lets you know when the water is being heated (red light)"...WHAT RED LIGHT?!?!?

Unplugged, replugged and waited...no heat. Unplugged, removed from tank and closely examined. Okay, found very small pimple of a thing that could be a red light.

Replugged...no red light. @%@#&@!!!!

Um....help?!? Does it take time to warm up enough to sense heat coming from it? Is the red light elective? Did I get a defect out of the box?

Sultan Jack is having a blast examining it...but I'd much rather it be operational than just a fetching tank buddy for him to talk to.

So please, any information or advice would be graciously accepted at this point...
etcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Ahem...
RETURN IT!

Argh! I hate these so much. They really are just...bad!

That light probably will turn on only if that tank manages to get aroun 65'F. At most, it'll heat to around 72'F.

I would replace and get a better heater, try a marineland 10w or a hydor, perhaps? Not good with the heaters, but I do use the marineland with good results.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Many people have trouble with presets. Popular theory is that it's hit or miss if you get a crappy one or one that will sort of function.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

^Tetra's 2-10g especially!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I think it's pre sets that suffer from the "prone to fail" factor. IT will either work, or it won't. OR it will work minimally, ie raise the temp like 5 degrees
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #6 
etcher

Well, I let it sit through the night (the box said to wait 24 hours to attain desired heating); nothing happened. So back to Walmart, then I'll go to Petco and get a proper one.

Thanks for the advice!!
etcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, heater, no light indicator, problem, tetra