Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #11 
Silverfang

Hi, I'm Kathryn, and I'm a Warcraft addict
It has been 11 and a half months since I played, so close to getting my one year medallion.

Don't become a Warcrack victim like me!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
woah @_@ i can't imagine any mmo being that addictive to cause someone to choose the game over their SO .. that's just insane .. and i've played many many mmo's and have been addicted to them at one point or another .. but i'd never choose any game over my SO ..
WoW has been known, to the outsiders that don't play it, to cause issues in family and relationships. Many many people (thankfully not those here!) get so wound up in it that they neglect every aspect of their lives. I have seen my ex pee in cola cups, sit in a pile of take out garbage because he's 'in a raid and can't leave the computer for XX amount of hours'. I have seen parents have their kids taken away from them because they are on the computer 16h a day, and sleeping for 8. There are many horrible stories with WoW and those who abuse it.

My ex made ME choose, he didn't see a problem with what he was doing. I personally could do better than someone who used the bathroom in cups and then sat beside those cups 24/7. I slept alone, I went out alone and I cooked and ate alone. I was his GF for 5 years. He said he would never ask me to marry him until I accepted WoW into my life. DUDEEEEE. I split.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #13 
vaygirl

Yeesh. :/

I remember reading that there were people who died from extended sessions of playing WOW. I have friends who play MMORPG's nonstop from the time they come home from work until bedtime. They played SWG and now LOTRO. It's not the game really, it's the personality type. Though WOW does seem to draw way more people who can't step away. Not sure why that is. Maybe someone here can tell me.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #14 
LittleBettas

I have WOW, and I play on occasion, Im Horde.... but I havent been on in a couple months.... myBF get on every night for 3 hours... sadly, Im the one that introduced him to WOW
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #15 
Silverfang

IT draws you in, and then you can't stop, there is always something else, something more. A new dungeon, a new impossible item, a new acheivement. I was sucked in for probably 3 years (I couldn't tell you exactly how long, it's all a big blur) and I did the hard core raiding bit.
There is another part, it does depend alot on the person, WoW is just as addictive as alcohol, as any drug you can find. It brings out the addictive personality in a "safer" way. As much fun as I had, I won't ever start playing that game again. EVER
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #16 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
woah @_@ i can't imagine any mmo being that addictive to cause someone to choose the game over their SO .. that's just insane .. and i've played many many mmo's and have been addicted to them at one point or another .. but i'd never choose any game over my SO ..
its not so surprising for me. a co worker did play WOW alot many years back. he'd play all day for several days at a time. he even called sick/skipped work to play WOW. he'd also skip out fmily gatherings to play.

i have the same addiction but its to unreal tournament. hadnt played it for a few years BC i know how fast i'd get addicted. id play it for 80% of a day at times.

Last edited by nel3; 08-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #17 
remiska28

Wow, ok first of all its an addiction like any others, but I set the limit to how much I play. Family and friends always comes first, and it helps that about half of my guild members I know in real life. We all live within 2 hours of each other so everyone is pretty close.

I think the reason it draws people in is because its an exscape. You can be whoever and whatever you want to be. I'm on a rp realm and all my main toons have their own personalities and backstories. I think of it as living in a book. You can interact with the characters, your going through a large story if you do the Loremaster Achievement.

But seriously do not neglect your chores and obligations. Play on the weekend if you can't during the week. Do NOT neglect your family and friends because the game will be there when you get back.
remiska28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #18 
vaygirl

I get the escape part. I'm a long time tabletop RPG player so I get the playing characters thing too. My characters are all complete people to me. I guess what I was missing is that it's too much of an escape for some people and Wow seems to support that with it's constant updates and PVP system.

I've never want our tabletop RPG's to replace our real life, no matter how good of a writer and GM my husband is (I actually met Steve at a tabletop RPG). But as a former drinker I guess I'm starting to understand how it can happen. And there have been times in my life when I've been so unhappy that escape was preferable to life. Thanks, Silverfang for explaining and being candid.

I've been sober for 5 years now and I can't have any alcohol at all. So I get that you can't ever play again. Good for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #19 
remiska28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I get the escape part. I'm a long time tabletop RPG player so I get the playing characters thing too. My characters are all complete people to me. I guess what I was missing is that it's too much of an escape for some people and Wow seems to support that with it's constant updates and PVP system.

I've never want our tabletop RPG's to replace our real life, no matter how good of a writer and GM my husband is (I actually met Steve at a tabletop RPG). But as a former drinker I guess I'm starting to understand how it can happen. And there have been times in my life when I've been so unhappy that escape was preferable to life. Thanks, Silverfang for explaining and being candid.

I've been sober for 5 years now and I can't have any alcohol at all. So I get that you can't ever play again. Good for you.
:hugs: Congrats on staying sober so long! Tabletop rpg's are fun. Which one(s) were you involved in? I did D&D and Wheel of Time
remiska28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #20 
vaygirl

We played 3rd Edition d&d, the old, old Marvel comics RPG, d6 Star Wars, and now WOC Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings, Vampire and Werewolf, Changeling, Seventh Sea. If it existed we probably tried it.

We only play monthly now because he has a lot less time to write and we're down to just him and me these days. Lol!

Thanks, about the sober thing. It's the best thing I ever did. Wish I'd done it sooner. I might have saved myself a LOT of useless angst.