Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

New tank, but a bit worried about quality

After alot of surfing on the internet and browsing my pet store and Walmart, I've finally found a 5g tank I'm in love with ^.^ The only problem is that it was in the reptile isle, and I'm just slightly worried about it being able to hold around 5g of water, along with substrate, plants, fish, decorations, all that jazz... I just want some opinions from people on the thread on if I should go for it or not.. 'cause while it's not the best 'bang for your buck' tank, I feel that I would enjoy this tank much more than I would the 2.5 I was originally getting (which the seams were glued fine, but sloppily, as well as all the other glass aquariums I've seen in person)...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail

It is an acrylic tank, and I haven't really heard anything bad about acrylic tanks in comparison to plastic or glass ones... The top is a metal mesh, but I'm assuming its designed to withstand things like evaporation. I figured for my filter and heater, I'd be able to cut out a small section where I'm able to slip them through and into the tank.... but again, I'd like someone elses opinion first.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Well, haven't really gotten any replies, so I guess I'm just gonna assume its okay to use...
Old 08-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #3 
Thunderloon

Its likely exactly the same tank as the 5g aquarium isle tanks. Common practice. If it does start leaking you can get Marineland label aquarium sealant at several chains (doesn't poison the tank) and simply seal the leak.

Once the tank is at normal temp of about 78 degrees it is much much tougher than when just sitting empty or being used for lizards, it should be fine.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #4 
Jrf456

LOL. It's fine, we have a 5g community tank that is exactly the same!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #5 
DDave

Did you see the Hawkeye tank from Walmart ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258 )? It's the same design, but also comes with a light and a filter. I have this tank, as well as a few others here, and it holds water just fine. I really like it, and I think the way it's shaped makes it look like it's bigger than a 5g tank.
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #6 
fishman12

Or if you want something that's rectangular, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
It's only $6 more.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #7 
dragonflie

It probably will be ok because it is only 5 gallons. However; as a rule, reptile tanks are made with thinner glass and are not designed to hold the amount of weight and pressure of a full tank of water, leaving you at risk for a leak or worse...

So while you will likely be ok with the 5g, in the future if you want a larger tank (10+) I'd recommend one that is designed for fish.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
It probably will be ok because it is only 5 gallons. However; as a rule, reptile tanks are made with thinner glass and are not designed to hold the amount of weight and pressure of a full tank of water, leaving you at risk for a leak or worse...

So while you will likely be ok with the 5g, in the future if you want a larger tank (10+) I'd recommend one that is designed for fish.
Yeah, when I picked it up, it did seem pretty thin, which is why I was worried about it.. I felt kind of silly for asking, but figured it'd be even more silly to spend a good amount of money on something that could possibly bust without getting someone elses opinion that would actually know a thing or two about it...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
Did you see the Hawkeye tank from Walmart ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258 )? It's the same design, but also comes with a light and a filter. I have this tank, as well as a few others here, and it holds water just fine. I really like it, and I think the way it's shaped makes it look like it's bigger than a 5g tank.
I think I've seen this tank, but I'm pretty sure I've been avoiding it because the hood is too big for where I want to put it.. And I've already made a sponge filter and added lights in my book shelf, so I'd feel like I'd be wasting money buying something that I wouldn't be able to use, nor would need to use... but as dragonflie said, the reptile tanks are thinner, so it's not able to hold the weight/pressure a full tank of water like an actual fish tank could... If anything, seeing as how its cheaper, I could make my own hood (I have the mesh stuff to at least have some sort of temporary top) and keep the one that comes with this one to the side for when I do have space to move the tank. So yeah, I'll keep this tank in mind ^.^ Right now, I'm leaning more towards yes 'cause I don't like the idea of spending more money for something that's probably gonna break xD Thanks for bringing it up, DDave

Edit: Oh, and I just checked this! The shipping and handling is only $2.97! Muuuch cheaper than the other sites I've been browsing through... Ya know, I think I will get this tank ^.^ Thanks again, DDave!

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 08-13-2011 at 11:33 AM.