Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #11 
Pataflafla

How much light does he get? Ratchet started after I stayed up late and turned my lights on and off a few times (room light not tank light).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #12 
Loralyn94

He has two tank lights in the hood. As far as room light, it stays off during the day (though now it will be on for about an hour in the early morning while i get ready for school), and then in the evenings when it begins to get dark, if i'm home its on and stays on until i go to sleep (which tends to be fairly late).

Could he be doing it because I have my light on and he wants to sleep?
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #13 
Pataflafla

He might be stressed because of that. I had no problems with Ratchet before I stayed up late and kept my lights on. I'm trying to redo the light schedule that I had when I first got him, which was lights off until I wake up, then room light, then around 3 tank light for a few hours until it gets dark out, then room light on/ tank light off, then room light off around 9 at night.

I'm hoping I can get that schedule worked out again soon.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #14 
Loralyn94

I'm wondering if this might be the problem. Do you think there would be a problem with picking a time say 9 at night, turning off his tank lights and then wrapping a towel around the tank to stop a good amount of the light from getting in that way he could sleep and my lights in my room being on wouldnt irritate him?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #15 
Pataflafla

I think that would work just fine. I keep my room lights off since my dog sleeps in my room and I don't want to bother him either. That and I have 4 tanks and that's a few towels that I'm too lazy to gather.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #16 
Loralyn94

I'll have to try it and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion! I never would have thought of it. I only have two tanks right now, but the one is glofish and tetras and they dont seem bothered by it, so its a little easier for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #17 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Here are the best pictures I could get without flaring him. Don't want him to rip any more of his finnage.

Attachment 34066
Attachment 34071

On a side note, I know there have been some people on here looking for photos for a compilation of problems and diseases with bettas, so if anyone wants to use these pics, feel free. A heads up would be nice, but not necessary.
Oh yes...Tailbiting is definietly my pet peeve about betta's. Akira did the weirdest thing he just bit his rays off and now their finally growing back...
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #18 
Pataflafla

Ratchet is now in the 1.5 gal with aq salt to fend off infection and promote healing as well as a small amount of decaf green tea. He seems to have stopped, but I haven't flared him at all today to let him settle in a little easier.

He's also attempted a bubble nest, but seems to have completely forgotten the nest part of it since he just blows bubbles all over the tank before swimming to the front for what he hopes is congratulatory feeding while I watch him.

I think this set up is going to work out better than the 10 gal with him, since he can't see any fish at all.