Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Red Sea nano filter

Does anyone here have a red sea nano filter?It is for tanks that are 3 gallons..I picked it up at Petco today and it was on sale for 7 dollars.I put it all together and its kinda cute...its like a aquaclear..but tiny....the only problem is, I have an extra piece ..I dunno where it goes and it didn't come with a manual..It's a little tan circular piece( will get a picture in a little bit).Is it really just an extra piece?
I thought that maybe it snapped onto the adjustable piece, but it doesn't stay on there it kinda just ..falls off... Is it just for "looks"....haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 
dragonflie

I actually used to have 2 of those filters, but it was 1.5+years ago so I don't recall which piece you are talking about. But what I do remember, is there being SOMETHING extra in the box that I didn't need, I just don't remember what it was lol.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #3 
newf

I have one for my five gallon tank, and it came with the same spare part. I never did figure out what it was for, and I just gave up trying to figure it out. The filter was working perfectly fine without it, so I just put it away.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 
DDave

After seeing a youtube video of someone opening up the packaging, it looks like that piece is used to make the filter sit level. There is probably a hole in the bottom of the filter that the little peg goes into and then you turn the piece so that it pushes the bottom of the filter away from your tank until the filter sits upright.
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
After seeing a youtube video of someone opening up the packaging, it looks like that piece is used to make the filter sit level. There is probably a hole in the bottom of the filter that the little peg goes into and then you turn the piece so that it pushes the bottom of the filter away from your tank until the filter sits upright.
You are right!Thankyou so much! I typed the name of the filter in youtube and I think I found the video you are talking about. I feel like such a dummy for not being able to figure that out.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 
DDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
You are right!Thankyou so much! I typed the name of the filter in youtube and I think I found the video you are talking about. I feel like such a dummy for not being able to figure that out.
Don't feel too bad about it. It took a long while for me to figure out where that piece went on the filter I have too.
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

don't rely on the black foam to act like carbon, powdered carbon doesn't work. The foam does make a nice bio-filter media tho.

Many of the newer ones have a little fiber card stuck into slots beside the impeller. I discovered that taking it out and using a chunk of dense sponge works much better.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote