Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 
MJK87

Tank cycle question.

Hello everyone

I am wondering if it is possible to cycle a 2.5 gallon tank if live plants are used along with a deco art nano filter so that routine 100% water changes are not necessary.

Is this possible or is the tank too small to cycle?

If so what can the new water change routine be expected to be?

Thank you.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its not that a filtered 2.5gal tank can't establish the nitrogen cycle....its the limited surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize that limits stability of the nitrogen cycle......however, with the filter and live plants you wouldn't need to make 100% water changes and depending on the number and species of live plants you may only need to make 1-50% weekly water change to maintain water quality.....

What kind and how many of live plants, type of light, age of bulb, watts and kelvin

The right number and species of live plants that are actively growing can help maintain water quality

If only a couple of plants-In a 2.5gal filtered tank-water changes of twice weekly may be needed....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning in all areas without moving anything or disruption of plant roots-with either a vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality..

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month....

Love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 
dsgems

How many different kinds of plants would you suggest in a 2.5 g with one betta and one snail? Can you have too many plants?
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
dsgems

How can you tell if your tank is cycled? I have a lot to learn. But I am loving all this. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

At least 2 different species of stem plants and 1 floating species-4 stem of each species and 3-4 floating like water lettuce...good stem plants to use....naja grass and water wisteria....

Lights are really important with live plants-if the plants are not actively growing they can't help water quality and if they are not thriving due to the wrong lights they will cause more harm than good.....

Proper lights-bulbs under 1yr old-daylight 6500k on a 10hr/day photoperiod

As long as the Betta has room to swim and plants don't impede its ability to get to the top for air.

Active growing plants will use ammonia for food-but you can still have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) and at least 1-50% weekly water change is still needed.

In a filtered tank-when you have 0ppm ammonia, nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate without ammonia, nitrite spikes....you are most likely cycled....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 
MJK87

I have one anachris plant and one anubus plant attached to a lava rock.

The filter at the moment is a tetra whisper 3i but i have ordered the deco art nano filter and it should be here this coming week.

The light that I'm using is an incandescent light but i have one of the new style coil bulbs that is 6500K.

Here are some pictures of it.
Attached Images

MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #7 
dsgems

Thanks I have anachris and anubus. Also amazon sword, and a floating something. Don't know what, similar to anachris, but thinner, maybe hornwort? I am still looking for java fern. I don't know naja grass or water wisteria. Are they EASY? I have a incandescent 15 watt bulb. Is that enough?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Great job on your tank MJ...looks great.....6500k is the bulb you want for live plants...kelvin is more important than watts....

Naja grass-sometimes called guppy grass and water wisteria are two really easy plants that tolerate low-mod light...easy to propagate and big eaters.....they do a great job at filtering the water.....