Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #1 
GunsABlazin

Anyone have a nose ring?

I will put pics up in a sec, but i was wondering if anyone who has or has had a nose piercing has ever had this problem. I have a bump, about the size of a pea, in front of the stud. It gets full of yellow-watery blood...and of course just plain blood. Iv poped it twice in the month and a half since i got it pierced and it started to develop. Its like a balloon of flesh, but it has feeling.
Any one else know what to do about this?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #2 
dragonflie

I don't have a nose piercing, but I have others. It sounds infected. Does it hurt? Feel warm? Itch? These are also signs of infection.

Wash the area really well with mild soap and water; and put a small amount of antibacterial ointment around it.

Popping it opens you up to further infection; I'd stop doing that. I know you don't want it to close...but you may have to take it out for the area to heal. But do keep a close eye on it; if it gets worse I'd see a doctor.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Ooh, don't pop it! I have a nose stud and a few ear piercings, I have never had problems with my nose piercing. But that's because of the regime my piercer gave me:
1 tsp rock salt+ half a cup of hot water, dab on the spot with a cotton bud, cleaning around the stud area to soften the dried pus, if the water gets cold on the bud, use another bud. Don't soak it, just dab. Do this or 2 minutes 3 times a day, especially after a bath.. If you can find calendula tincture (Calendula Q) its found in many pharmacies, dab that onto the area as well. Works like a charm. I've scratched at my nose stud so many times when it was new but never had problems.
I had a similar issue as yours though, when I got my ear cartilage pierced. I had pain for months! I would take meds but when I stopped them the pain and grossness would be back. In this case, i removed the piercing, let it heal and got another one later, which had no problems.. I hope I helped. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 
Loralyn94

I have a nose piercing and have never had this problem, but did get something similar on my industrial. Like both post before me have sad, dont pop it any more! It will make it worse.
I've never tried fightergirls method, but what i did for my industrial when it got like this was take a small shot glass add some non iodized sea salt and a little bit of water so it makes a sort of past, then put this on the outside of your nose, covering the piercing. You can do this like two times a day and it just go down, but keeping doing it for at least a week without stopping otherwise it can come back.
Another thing to do that i did and worked really well, is to put the salt paste on right before your going to bed then just sleep with it on and then wash it off in the morning.

As for what these are called I cant remember, but its basically a little boil filled with infection that can happen pretty easily. There caused by the jewelry getting moved and making a small tear around the piercing that then gets infected. There easy to treat, so just put the salt on them a couple times a day for a week or so and they should go down :)
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 
mysquishy

Sounds like it is possibly a keloid scar. I never had any problems with mine but my friend got a bump and hers eventually went away. You should ask your piercer about it.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #6 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysquishy View Post
Sounds like it is possibly a keloid scar. I never had any problems with mine but my friend got a bump and hers eventually went away. You should ask your piercer about it.
Keloids are actually really different, they are solid scar tissue, not puss filled or bloody and they wont decrease in size with salt or a lot of the other home remedies people have. Keloids will only truly go away with things like steroid creams, steroid injections, surgery, freezing, and several other medical procedures. Most people say that things are keloids, but in reality it is actually another type of scarring (hypotrophic i believe) and it will go away with salt and things of that nature.

From what GunsABlazin is describing though, I'm almost certain that this is a boil (or bacteria pocket is the other name).
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

As far as I know salt is corrosive, it shouldn't be used in a paste... That's why people say hurts like rubbing salt on a wound remember? My boyfriend thought making a strong solution would help it heal faster but it didn't, it made the wound worse.. Also, you have to keep rotating your ring/ stud a few times during the day and even if it gets infected DO NOT remove it and put it back in, it causes the infection to move into the pierced hole rather than just around it..

And keloids are scar tissue, they look a lot like warts and don't ooze.. (Ooze is a gross word lol!)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #8 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
As far as I know salt is corrosive, it shouldn't be used in a paste... That's why people say hurts like rubbing salt on a wound remember?
True, but its not exactly an open wound. This is just what I've done and none people to do, it worked great for my industrial, and for my sisters nose piercing when it got one of these. Just going off of what I was told by my piercer.

People usually have different sensitivity to things like this so what works really well for one person may not work nearly as well for someone else.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

I guess, skin sensitivity does matter. I mentioned this because guns mentioned popping it and if its still raw.. Ouch! Lol! If its closed it might not be a problem but if the skin gets inflamed, irritated or dry I think it should be stopped.

Also, I noticed guns hasn't posted yet and we're going on about this. XD
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #10 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Also, I noticed guns hasn't posted yet and we're going on about this. XD
Haha, so weird.When I got the notification to my email on my phone that said it was a you replying to this and thought, You know, the original poster hasnt said anything else, yet, we continue to debate this.

Either way, Guns I hope someones suggestion helps :)