Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Unhappy I need answers please!!!

Okay so I bought a powder blue gourami to fill the spot of a fallen mollie in my 10 g tank. The pet shop had them listed as a "community fish" so i felt safe putting him in with a red tail shark a glass catfish and a killiefish. After just four days I noticed my killes was stressed and the gourami was taunting him regularly. So last night i made the choice to donate the gourami to the local pet shop. I woke this morning and saw a horrid thing. The stupid thing had literally eaten the eyes out of the killies. The gourami is at the pet shop, ans the killies in real bad blind shape, but alive. Whats the best thing to do for the pour guy? Can he recover? Please let me know ASAP.

Last edited by Tinman23; 08-12-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: title must be more urgent
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #2 
Kiiarah

Oh my gosh, that sounds awful! :( Most of my experience is with goldfish, and just a bit of betta knowledge, but I wanted to at least reassure you that as terrible as it seems, even missing eyes can heal without complications. I have heard stories of goldfish having eyes sucked out by other fish and they live happy and healthy lives. This may sound strange, but I would actually head over to Kokos goldfish forum and post there because goldfish are particularly prone to that problem and they may have more experience with it. Bettas are solitary fish, so it is unlikely that many people here have had this problem. Do not worry too much yet, as terrible as it looks, the injury is not life-threatening. Worst case you may have to start hand-feeding him, or separate him for feeding times somehow so that he doesn't have to compete for food. If you pick up some plastic mesh from a craft store, and some plastic report binders, you can make a very cheap tank divider and just put it in during feedings. Here is a link for how to make a divider. Good luck and fins crossed for a speedy recovery for your little one.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote