Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
Creat

Popeye? and Help Please

So yeah you know I take in a lot of sick fish... and so I got another one and being that I am rather humble about my fish skills I always like to ask you guys for help :) and extra pair of eyes always helps
So this is my new boy he is black and used to be a hm I picked him out cause he has a very bad case of fin rot... but am i just seeing sumthing because his eyes look like they stick out way to far...... also he has a hard time swimming to the surface to get air so im not sure if he has some sort of swim bladder issue, he is very much a little pig though and only wants to eat.
Right now his only treatment is fresh clean water with nothing added to it (except declorinator of course). What should I do for him ? I want him back to his former glory.
Also this is a fine example of why working in a petstore is a very bad idea on my part :p
Name:  IMG_1671.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  43.1 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

Yes, I thought about working at a pet store, but I already have 20 bettas and am tempted every time I go in. :/ I also have a new fish I obtained with popeye, although, a bit worse than your guy. I think your guys eyes are definitely bugging out a bit, so maybe it is the beginning of something. I have read there are conservative treatments for popeye, but I don't know that they work. I have had my guy (Wingnut) for about 5 or 6 days I think, doing daily water changes and adding "betta revive" because he was on the brink of death I think. He is now pretty active, but still has popeye. So, I am starting him on Maracyn. You could do Maracyn, or Maracyn 2, or both. OR if it is a fungal infection causing his eyes to bug out, you could do API Fungus Cure. That also treats buggy eyes. It really all depends on what is causing the buggy eyes. Since your fish has fin rot as well though, and maybe some other infection causing lethargy/weakness or swimming problems, Maracyn or Maracyn 2 I think are good choices, since they also address both popeye and finrot. Just my suggestion, others may disagree. I've also been told to feed Anti-parasite fish meds to help with internal bacterial infections... so that may work too, but I've never really tried it. Just be careful mixing too many meds. Good luck and keep us posted. :)
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

pop eye spreads by uncleaned water my little brother betta has it badly on one eye (since he didn't clean the tank poor little guy). i don't know how to cure it but i do know this if you do cure it he might have loose his sight though

let's pray to god that doesn't happen ='[[
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 
Creat

Well his eyes havnt changed much today but I started dosing him with aq salt to see if that will help.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 
smellsfishie

i'm going on day 3 of Maracyn treatment and my guys eyes have not changed either.. :( Maybe with more time.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Yeah, I see the white ring of popeye :( Have you tried getting him in some epsom salt to draw out the fluids? I don't think aq salt will help any..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #7 
Creat

I have him on aq salt for the finrot he has, I will probably switch to epsom after the week ends thank you guys its good to know I am not crazy and i did see pop eye.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

I remember Ofl telling me epsom salt and clean, clean, clean water will help fin rot.. Aq salt is going to make his eyes worse.. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #9 
Creat

So far aq salt hasnt been affecting his eye and has been working up his appetite and making him swim a little more normally, but he is on a 1/2 does for aq salt, also I will heed the warning and move him to epsom salt to help alleviate some of the fluid build up
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 
smellsfishie

Hope it works! I'm skipping the salt and just doing meds. My guys eyes are so bulgy, I don't know how well he will be able to see once he is healed. :(