Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

Keeping one betta in that tank without the divider would be fine...But I would get another tank or critter keeper for the other betta. 1 gallon is too small to divide.A one gallon cannot handle that sort of stocking..2 bettas. I personally don't recommend dividing anything under 5 gallons..It is too stressful for the bettas...even if you added a cave they wont be able to get out of view of the other betta.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #12 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Keeping one betta in that tank without the divider would be fine...But I would get another tank or critter keeper for the other betta. 1 gallon is too small to divide.A one gallon cannot handle that sort of stocking..2 bettas. I personally don't recommend dividing anything under 5 gallons..It is too stressful for the bettas...even if you added a cave they wont be able to get out of view of the other betta.
Definitely agree with this. :) I'm probably more on the conservative side, in that I only feel comfortable dividing a 10g into 2...because in my own personal opinion it gives alot more territory for both, and more options for deco breaking lines of sight. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to divide a 5g, it's just out of my comfort zone; unless you maybe have very laid back fish (which I never seem to end up with).
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #13 
jackiek11

thank you, everyone for all of your advice.
jackiek11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #14 
Myates

Yup, a divided 1g is way too small. No way to put plants in there, nor any cave. Not to mention a 1g with one fish is an at least every other day water change.. so that would have to be done daily for both those guys in it.
Imagine the stress.. daily water changes and having a competitor right there and no where to hide to calm down :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #15 
mjoy79

I had that tank and both my fish died within a few days of eachother because they stressed themselves out so much. I had no clue that bettas needed more space and heating needs as well. Now I just use that tank as a QT tank (1 fish only) and to fill big tanks up
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #16 
jackiek11

I'm getting their old tanks set up right now and am going to go to the pet store to get them so new plants and stuff.
jackiek11 is offline   Reply With Quote