Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #1 
g3omanser

Question California Blackworm Question

Hey! so ive been contemplating on whether to buy some california blackworms for my new betta, but i can't use the fridge to keep them alive so my question is:

Is there a way to keep some California Blackworms without the use of fridge?

also:
how do you care for them?

I live in SoCal btw so it gets pretty HOT during the day. maybe a cooler?? or something to keep them cool..

thanks!
g3omanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I have a colony of Australian blackworms, living in an unheated tank on my bedroom floor. I just chuck some flakes in and do a partial water change every couple of days to ensure the water quality stays good. I plan to install a sponge filter and put in some water sprite, but at the moment they seem to be self-sustaining.

I wanted to do it that way so I could ensure I wasn't introducing anything into my tank as I know the exact conditions they are being kept in. Just be sure to rinse your blackworms well as they can carry/transmit disease to your bettas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 
g3omanser

Hmmm.. Australian blackworms?? I've NEVER heard of that. are they the same as CALIFORNIA blackworms??
and a couple of more questions... what type of container should i keep them in? how deep should the water be?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 
Warlock

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ackworm-Keeper

here is the best BLACKWORM KEEPER SYSTEM EVER! :)
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

My worms are brown and clump up in a ball. When introduced into a tank with substrate, they burrow down into the gravel, but leave part of themselves out in the water column.

I just said Australian since that's where I live. I think they are probably either the same species, or related.

Mine are in about 5 inches of water, with a thin layer of gravel, a half-dead chunk of moss and a piece of filter foam that I use to harvest them.

They do apparently prefer an aerobic environment, which is why I'm putting in a filter. At the moment it looks rather rough but I'm hoping to get a proper set-up going sometime in the near future.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #6 
g3omanser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ackworm-Keeper

here is the best BLACKWORM KEEPER SYSTEM EVER! :)
i wish i had money to blow to make this x]
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #7 
g3omanser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
My worms are brown and clump up in a ball. When introduced into a tank with substrate, they burrow down into the gravel, but leave part of themselves out in the water column.

I just said Australian since that's where I live. I think they are probably either the same species, or related.

Mine are in about 5 inches of water, with a thin layer of gravel, a half-dead chunk of moss and a piece of filter foam that I use to harvest them.

They do apparently prefer an aerobic environment, which is why I'm putting in a filter. At the moment it looks rather rough but I'm hoping to get a proper set-up going sometime in the near future.
im probably going to try your method since i have all the supplies to do it. THANKS!!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

No problems. I just checked on my guys then. There seems to be a lot of them in there.

Someone had a cool set-up with heaps of plant clippings floating at the top and mesh tiles (or something similar to that) they used to harvest their worms.

I only have them because certain fussy fish of mine only eat live.