Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #1 
Tigerfish1704

Time for a Sorority?

Ok, I have wanted a sorority for a while now. I just wanted to ask experienced sorority owners what do you think I should do, what should I get.
10 or 20 gal?
How many girls?
Good decorations without going overboard?
Also was there any problems you had during the set up that I should look out for?

Thanks to anyone who answers,
Tigerfish1704

Last edited by Tigerfish1704; 08-16-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Tigerfish1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
mjoy79

Here's a link to the sorority sticky: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402
I recently set up my first sorority so I have some advice - but I'm still learning as I go. Definitely at least a 10 gal - that will be good for 5 girls. The general rule is 1 fish for every 2 gallons. Lots of hiding places - plants and caves is good.
this is my experience - but I had trouble at first with a couple of baby girls. I think they were too young and the stress of everything was too much and I lost them both within 1-2 days of bringing them home. The 5 that I have in there now are a bit older and are of similar size. 2 CTs and 3 VT. I personally can see that the VTs have calmer personalities than the CTs. One of my CTs chases the other CT around the tank and stresses her out a bit. I wonder if its because she's the only other CT. I'm not sure. In the future I might get all VTs to see what the difference is. But as I said I just set this up and I'm still learning. I'm having a lot of fun though. Its so fun to walk up to their tank and all 5 come to greet me (of course they're looking for food, what else?). They're sooooo cute! Good luck with your sorority! LooK forward to pics
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 
Tigerfish1704

I was told no less then 6 girls together would 5 be okay?
mjoy79 - thanks for the tip about young ones and different breeds.
Tigerfish1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
mjoy79

Well what I had done originally was get a 6.6 gal and got 4 girls because I thought that was the minimum. But then someone told me that was too small and should be at least a 10 gal and get a 5th girl to join them. My guess is 6 or more is better in an even bigger tank. The sorority sticky says the more agression spread out, the better. So far, 5 is working ok in my 10 gal. I'll adjust if I need to though.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #5 
Shimizoki

Its no less than 4 together, however 6 is prefered. Also I believe its customary to have more than a 10gal for a sorority (I would say 20). I just set up my first sorority not but a few days ago after tons of reading here. Not to promote my own thread but you can read its scaryness HERE.

Keep in mind they need lots of hiding spots (lots of live plants and huts/pots are preffered) and to have more than enough room to get away from each other when needed... I just don't feel a 10gal would give you that much freedom.

It will most likely take a few weeks to get all the girls gathered and used to each other (Never settle, wait until the girls you are looking for are available even if it means buying one a week for 6 weeks). Also during that time you need to cycle your new tank.

Plants that I like are Swords, Wisteria, Anubis. The 2 former the betta like aswell.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experienced owners!, how many fish, questions, sorority