Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #21 
jman828

Nope.... the picture IS what happened! and im pretty sure it didn't go beyond the find but it may have
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #22 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Hehe...OFL...you got tricked too! That's actually the "before" picture which was the healthy one...he will be posting the "after" picture later. the tail was bent behind the body so can't see it, but doesn't it look like it's been chomped off neatly? lol
Nope.... the picture IS what happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Ouch......its hard to tell...but did the injury go beyond the fins.....

I had a Betta get his tail chopped off by a marble crayfish and it took about 30 days for full regrowth-the tail did look somewhat off color...but it did grow back.....I started with a 10 sodium chloride 2tsp/gal, tannins, water change and then 10 days freshwater, tannins, water changes-then 10 day magnesium sulfate 2tsp/gal, tannins, water changes......really good nutrition mainly live food and homemade food.....

The cut looks pretty clean-how did it happen exactly......
and im pretty sure it didn't go beyond the find but it may have....he just fell on the floor and off with his tail it was.

EDIT: here's my poor little guy before he lost his tail :(.

Last edited by jman828; 08-16-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

So your fish has essentially no tail now? I'd definitely be keeping eyes on it then. Just watch for any signs of infection since it is so close to the body. Using salt and some Indian Almond/Oak leaves extract (they have anti-bacterial properties) should promote new growth and prevent any secondary infections from cropping up.

Feeding him lots of high protein foods (frozen is good for this) will also encourage new growth.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #24 
jman828

Starting day 2 water change now
please let me know of things to watch out for that show infection and what not.
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #25 
earthworm88

OMG....seriously? At first I couldn't believe my eyes! I looked closer than thought the tail in question must be behind. I feel so bad for your betta and you. Well, if the tail grows back, it at least will be a "uniform" color What a beautiful VT he was too!

You need OFL advice on this....this is the most serious injury I have seen (having limited experience that is).

Best of luck with the care and treatment. Hope he heals fast!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #26 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
Starting day 2 water change now
please let me know of things to watch out for that show infection and what not.
Thanks!
So what have you got in the new water and what size tank for your betta "the sunfish"?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #27 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
So what have you got in the new water and what size tank for your betta "the sunfish"?
Sunfish??? I have my conditoned water with salt for now and i may be putting in bettafix if he doesnt get better
Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #28 
earthworm88

Google sunfish

So 1 gal of conditioned water with 1 teaspoon of AQ salt and Stress Coat.
Don't use Bettafix, I have heard from many sources that it is not the best medicine to use as it can be harmful to their labyrinth organ. Go back and take a look at OFL advice about the other ingredients as your betta is severely injured and OFL had experience with this before.

Honestly, if you keep the water super clean very day, the food pellet you feed even barely have a chance to touch water before he noms it and you immediately suck out any poo you see, that is half the battle. I would feed him frozen high protein food ie bloodworm or brine shrimp every other day if I were you because he needs the extra protein to rebuild.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #29 
GreenTea

Hey, just wanted to say keep your chin up and keep on him! I found a completely dried out betta of mine next to a heater, he'd been there for about two hours! ALL of his fins fell off, he was barely clinging to life. I thought about euthanizing, (and sometimes it is appropriate) but I didn't and his fins have regrown completely. He's fat and happy.

If you can I'd pick up some bettafix or something from petco, some chemical meds in case he does get worse. I kept my guy in a shallow tupperware with a lid and only a few inches of water. I tried feeding him twice a day, a few pellets each time, until he started eating again. Just be sure to remove them if he doesn't eat them. My betta who jumped didn't eat for two weeks. It was depressing, but just keep going! Keep us updated and good luck <3
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #30 
Myates

Bettafix is iffy, majority of betta owners/breeders warn people to stay clear of it, that it can do more harm then good. I would suggest listening to OFL on this case. After the AQ salt treatment, maybe you could use stress coat when you do water changes, from what I hear that is great for fin regrowth. But, I'd check in with OFL first to see if that is an option, needed or not, for after the main treatment. Good luck, I hope he gets better soon.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote