Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 
mookeeful

A question RE Epsom Salt

So my Swifty is a guy prone to constipation. We battled a huge run of SBD because of it, and I have noticed he pretty much needs poo assistance by flaring a good percentage of the time. This weekend was the last of a 10 day run with epsom salt treatments/daily water changes.... 2 days in (tonight), he again gets a tad constipated and is starting to struggle with deep tank swimming. Now that I am practically a fish constipation expert, I pull him into a temp tank with my big ol' mirror next to it - and begin a 50% water change to add a tad more epsom salt. Not 5 minutes into his temp tank trip, he poos and now he has no issues with depth. I have adjusted his diet to give him frozen brine shrimp since it is higher diet, we change up his meals, & exercise him frequently. My question is this: I was told that constant epsom salt treatments do not bother the betta's overall organ heath (like AQ salt does to the kidney's) so I was wondering if it will negatively affect him if I add epsom salt into his tank during his normal weekly water changes? He is obviously a problem poo-er, so I just thought any assistance I can give him would just be more proactive, if possible.
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

For chronic swim bladder with buoyancy issues....Yes, long term Epsom salt 1tsp/gal may be needed, however, for constipation, I would change his diet first...the reason...its the food causing the problem-if he gets so constipated within a few days that it causes bloating with buoyancy problems...its the food..change brands.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #3 
mookeeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
For chronic swim bladder with buoyancy issues....Yes, long term Epsom salt 1tsp/gal may be needed, however, for constipation, I would change his diet first...the reason...its the food causing the problem-if he gets so constipated within a few days that it causes bloating with buoyancy problems...its the food..change brands.....
Okie dokie - is there a certain brand that you have found to be better than others? I have tried a few different brands now that have all shown the same result... TY OFL, you are always there with the info!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt-Magnesium sulfate no additives...one brand should be as good as another......look at the ingredients......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 
mookeeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Epsom salt-Magnesium sulfate no additives...one brand should be as good as another......look at the ingredients......
Sorry I had a KILLER headache yesterday and I wasn't very clear... I mean do you have a certain food type that you recommend? I have tried a few different kinds and they all seem to produce similar results. His float-ee-ness doesn't last as long as the initial round (though with the white poo he had I guess there were some possibilities of other things occurring the first time around) but I notice that there are times when he is starting to struggle - so we really have to force him to flare for a long time to get a poo out, then I do a water change & epsom salt change while he is flaring up in the temp tank, and then he is good to go again.