Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

There is a huge population of people that need education on Pits and "aggressive breeds"... not necessarily the ones that own them either. People like my sister, an ER nurse who swears up and down that Pits WILL eventually turn on you..... these are the kinds of people who need a truly informative show that not only shows the true nature of pit bulls but shows how they became so looked down upon and why all the statistics on them are pretty much total malarky.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #12 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
There is a huge population of people that need education on Pits and "aggressive breeds"... not necessarily the ones that own them either. People like my sister, an ER nurse who swears up and down that Pits WILL eventually turn on you..... these are the kinds of people who need a truly informative show that not only shows the true nature of pit bulls but shows how they became so looked down upon and why all the statistics on them are pretty much total malarky.
^ +1
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

One of my neighbors, who thinks she's an expert on dogs because she raised 2 litters of collies thinks the same way as your sister. She thinks all pit bulls are bad and WILL eventually turn on their owners. I think if a dog is trained to be vicious it will be vicious, whether it's a pitbull or a chihuahua.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

The sad truth is that a REAL Pit bull should never bite a human. Old time pits were killed on the spot if they bit a human because in the fight ring a human needed to be able to come in and pull the dogs off each other without them turning on the person. That "culling", as it were, was a huge factor in creating the PB's human friendly temperament and a big reason why they are nicknamed "Nanny dogs"... they were the dogs your kids could push, pull, ride, poke, and hit and would never do a thing. Its only in recent years where low-lifes have taken the breed and destroyed it and it's temperament, creating dogs who will bite a human.

(*Note I DO NOT condone leaving ANY child with ANY dog at ANY TIME... this is just a history lesson on the breed*)

A real PB is NOT a good guard dog, is not a good bite dog. A PB with correct temperament will gladly welcome a robber into your home and shower him with kisses.

Now the sad fact is that these dogs CAN be dog aggressive but dog aggression DOES NOT equal human aggression. Dogs can be dog aggressive without ever even thinking about biting a human and dogs can be human aggressive without ever thinking about biting a dog. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

However, a well managed PB should never be in a circumstance where he has an opportunity to kill another dog. If you have a PB you have to know your dog's limits with other dogs, some PB are ok with every dog and some want to kill any dog that isn't in their "house". NEVER take a PB to a dog park.. ever. IMO dog parks are time bombs for pits.. especially since they are usually filled with half-trained, obnoxious dogs.

These dogs are truly wonderful companions. They've been seen in sports from weight pull and agility all the way to bite work and herding. They are very versatile dogs. They make great pets if properly trained and handled but they are terriers and they are not a breed for everyone.

We can only hope they lose favor among the low-lifes soon... before the breed is destroyed through half-baked legislation and unethical breeding.

As one last note in a post I'm sure is going to look like a book.

First it was Dobermans, then they went to German Shepherds, then it was Rottweilers, now it's Pit Bulls.... you think you're breed will never be targeted?? Just wait. Ban one breed and you ban all breeds.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #15 
TonyK

I was going to say the same exact thing but, whenever you mention that someone always says you are for dog fighting.

Another thing on BSL, I was recently looking to to new home insurance. I had the agent come to my house to do a check. First thing she noticed was my "ferocious Pit Bull". She said it was company policy to not insure homes with Pit Bulls. I then was looking at other companies for insurance quotes and alot of them have restrictions based on breeds.

[quote=1fish2fish;790261]The sad truth is that a REAL Pit bull should never bite a human. Old time pits were killed on the spot if they bit a human because in the fight ring a human needed to be able to come in and pull the dogs off each other without them turning on the person. That "culling", as it were, was a huge factor in creating the PB's human friendly temperament and a big reason why they are nicknamed "Nanny dogs"... they were the dogs your kids could push, pull, ride, poke, and hit and would never do a thing. Its only in recent years where low-lifes have taken the breed and destroyed it and it's temperament, creating dogs who will bite a human.

(*Note I DO NOT condone leaving ANY child with ANY dog at ANY TIME... this is just a history lesson on the breed*)

Last edited by TonyK; 08-20-2011 at 10:29 AM.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cocker Spaniels are probably more mean than Pit Bulls. lol a neighbor of mine got attacked by another neighbor's Cocker spaniel. The owner just stood by and watched the dog go after the person.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote