Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #1 
Amphibianite

Trait questions

So I am thinking eventually I would like to breed some bettas, probably in a few months when i get everything fully ready, maybe a little later.
I am curious on which traits tend to be dominate. I was reading that VT is a very dominate trait if one of the parents is a VT.
So my question is which tail types tend to come off the dominant and which tail types will great what? What colors usually take dominance over others? Does it matter which parent shows which trait?
I was considering mating my VT boy with a wild type female, what would likely to happen there?
Sorry for a lot of questions but things like this fascinate me and gets me wondering.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #2 
Eziekel

there's no telling what outcomes you'll get. best way to know is if you try it yourself. but if you don't start out with quality bettas, you won't get any quality bettas.
Eziekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

So true Eziekel, I was curious if anyone had mapped out which traits tend to be more dominant. If which parent had which traits tended to effect it more, etc.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eziekel View Post
there's no telling what outcomes you'll get. best way to know is if you try it yourself. but if you don't start out with quality bettas, you won't get any quality bettas.
That's not entirely true. I thought that was the case too, but once I did a lot of research I found out that many of todays favorite lines started out from pet store Betta's. They were then bred for certain characteristics and inbred to dramatize those traits. I actually think it's cool that some of the best Betta's have such humble beginnings. History shows us that any of us could create the new Betta sensation
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Go to bettysplenden.com and read the genetic study.

Theoretically (IME not 100% true)
Long fins are dominant over short fin (IME: depends who's genetic back ground is stronger).

VT is dominant over other types. TRUE. but you will also get a mix between VT and what ever it was crossed to.

By "wild type" do you mean one of the wild bettas or the traditional short finned fighter? You'd probably get mostly VT, some with wider spread. If you're lucky, you might get one or two round tails. A few short tails and some "in between tails"

Yes, today's modern fin types came from traditional forms. But to get the mutating genes may take a life time of breeding. I'd suggest you breed the types you like and make life easier.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Bettysplenden.com is where I got that info as well. That is such a wonderful site, everything I learned there help me to spawn my fish and actually have surviving fry.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #7 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the site I will be reading it thoroughly.
By wild type I am look at the wild type section on aquabid, so the short finned variant that tens to have opalescent coloring.

I will be breeding for coloring, fin, and personality qualities I like in my fish. :P
How dominant a trait is double tail btw? I have a beautiful DTHM boy with brilliant copper coloring, I would love to eventually breed him too, he is still a little guy and wont be ready for good while.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #8 
trilobite

Breeding DT to a single tail will give you single tailed offspring, unless your female is a DT geno.
You will need to breed the siblings who are DT genos (you can spot them by their wider dorsal base) or a DT geno daughter to her DT father to get your DTs back
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

A side view picture would make my life easier

The traditional form of betta splendens are the VT and the fighters. The VT was developed into HM while the fighters into PK. A "wild type" betta is NOT a splenden and there are many different "wild types" (not sure).

DO NOT breed DT x DT because they would produce genetic flaws. Breed DT to single tails. You will have DT genos (single tail, but longer dorsal) in F1. Then inbreed the genos to get your DT.

You can breed DT genos to DT (breed F1 to father).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #10 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the info there. I wont be ready to condition for breeding for a few months but it is best know everything I can in advance no. Genetics is an interest for me, so thank you for the information. Glad to know about the DT geno and how to bread that trait.