Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Smile UGH! Why does it have to be so hard!

I kept telling myself that 8 bettas was too many, that when fish die I'll lower down to maybe 4 or 5.

But I can't.

Icen died about a month ago.. But somehow I can't resist getting a new scaly baby D:
So I got Douglas.

Anyone else have this problem?
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #2 
Bettabites94

i think everyone on this site does! lmao. when my first died i came home with two! and im going to college next year and i doubt i can bring three..... and i want a fourth too..... >_o
Bettabites94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #3 
naturegirl243

I had that problem I am finally down to 5 males and 4 females(I have my goldfish tank too) I used to have about 9 males and 5 females.I finally told myself no more so I stopped really looking at fish in general cause thats usually how it happens.When I started getting lazy with water changes I noticed I couldn't keep up and I was getting overwhelmed and the fish were starting to suffer.After my oldest Mizu died I really lost the passion I loved him so much he was a extreme rescue and an amazing fish that I had for almost three years.I say if your taking care of your fish and nobody suffering then it's not a problem at all.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #4 
DNangel

I *had* the same problem. Having these adorable little friends is great to the point where you would be ok with having up to 20, but in the long run it's hard to take care of these fish, and when they die early it's a big emotional toll. Not to mention its not fair to the fish. Even though they don't have emotions you should still treat them with a great amount of care.

BUT if you have like 2.5-5.0 gal tanks for all of them with high top notch stuff.... Go for it :D.
DNangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #5 
laughing

When you're broke, have a full schedule, and enjoy your sleep, you learn to control yourself!

I have 2, one waiting at a breeder. Those are my 3 and that's that. Maybe one more female, but no more. YES I see tons I love, YES I have the urge to buy more, YES I have to control myself. But I don't have a problem with extreme impulse buying.

Why?

First of all I know I will need to pay for them, their tank supplies, and now their filter cartridges and other misc items monthly.

Second I think of how long it takes me to do water changes already, and if I would like to add on at least 30 mins longer per week for this new fish's water changes.

Third I consider if the novelty will wear off. Why am I impulsing? Do I really want this fish or is it because I just want one?

Lastly, I ask myself if it would be fair. I have my 2 and my community tank and already they are lacking... I would want my 2 bettas to ideally be in 5 gallons a piece with better decor and set-ups. My community is so lacking due to my lack of funds! It isn't fair to the ones I have.

I bet if you thought of all that before buying, you'd save yourself from impulsing like that! I know many members who LOVE having 10+ bettas, though, and love buying new ones, so to them it isn't a 'problem' but a loving addiction ;) I am one to love few rather than many... I know if I had 8+ I would lose interest and they'd all suffer... but that's just ME!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #6 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah, I definitely have that problem. >.< When I got a new job I went from $250 paychecks to $450-$500 paychecks. And spending that extra money on Betta's appeals to me like no ones business. But I promised my boyfriend after my last buy {my 6th male} I wouldn't buy anymore for a while. Thankfully one of the boys doesn't need as much maintenance; he's in a very well cycled ten gallon. The other five males...takes just over an hour to do water changes usually. All 2-3 gallon tanks. Then I have my sorority tank in the kitchen, which currently only has my Mystique in it, but I ordered 4 more from Chard and should be getting those next week. OH. And I'm raising a small spawn, approx 5 babies in there. I'm hoping I can keep them together though.

I have a lot of fish. D:
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #7 
mookeeful

Yeah - I ummm, have this problem too...First it was 2 will be fine, then 3 ....and now we have 7.... 5 are in 5 gallons and 2 are in 10 gallons. It is a bit of a time consuming process for water changes & what not. But luckily they are in the living room where we just throw on a movie & hang out while doing it. I am lucky enough that my environment will control my impulses because I just don't have space to put a tank anywhere else...lol!
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

I keep "making" space. I've taken over my desk, a stand that we have the 15gal on, which has always been there, the top of a book shelf, a section of counter in the kitchen, and there's even one on my entertainment center by my TV. >.<
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #9 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNangel View Post
I *had* the same problem. Having these adorable little friends is great to the point where you would be ok with having up to 20, but in the long run it's hard to take care of these fish, and when they die early it's a big emotional toll. Not to mention its not fair to the fish. Even though they don't have emotions you should still treat them with a great amount of care.

BUT if you have like 2.5-5.0 gal tanks for all of them with high top notch stuff.... Go for it :D.

correction: bettas DO have emotions! they have their moody days, just like people!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #10 
cgchad

When my old guy was hanging on, my finacee got bit by the betta bug. We went from 1 to 9.
Hopefully after she saw everything I had to do today, we won't add any more, but she has been talking about trying breeding.
cgchad is offline   Reply With Quote