Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Tank stand failure @ 3AM & accidental rescue

So for the past.... god, like six months? My ten gallon's been on a pretty sturdy wooden shelf. At three AM last night I look up.. and realize the legs are failing pretty rapidly on one side. I made a mad dash, plucking up fish and plants, unplugging, siphoning out water, and removing gravel. I went shopping for a tank stand today.

And Meijer was the store I would up going to. A while ago I posted a rant about a betta in terrible conditions that I thought a worker threw away after I complained. I came back to find that he was indeed still alive. Aside from having been dumped into an uncracked cup he looked like his water hadn't even been changed. All the the fish water was terrible. So I took him, and a VT with like half an inch of water that was all cloudy and fuzzy and brown, and brought them to a manager, to complain. I told him, calm and polite, that I'd been here previously and the fish were in bad condition, and that am employee had been very rude to me in regards to my concerns. I also mentioned to him that I loved fish, but that seeing the conditions they were being kept in at his store made my uncomfortable with continuing to purchase fish and fish supplies from them.

He came and took a look at the sate of the bettas with me, and then had a worker come to clean their cups out, while we watched. He then proceeded to, without me asking, write off the damaged betta as free, and tell me that he was very sorry it hadn't been dealt with properly the previous time I was there.

Well... I've got a new Meijer fish. I suppose I'll snap a couple pics and post them here in a moment. He's missing most of his fins, and rather bloated (they all were heavily overfed, too.) I'm surprised. I've never gotten a free fish before.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
elijahfeathers

elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

hes going to be a pretty boy, congrats :)

Glad to hear you seem to have gotten through the manager, though tend to be quick to forget about the poor little bettas after a time
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #4 
Luimeril

aawww... what a cutie!

at walmart, they have a shelf i want badly for tanks. x: it's just a small bookshelf, something you'd have next to your bed in a dorm, but it can hold, maybe four tanks? right now, i have one bookshelf, but it's not the sturdiest thing in the world, so i only have three tanks on it. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote