Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2291 
Kytkattin
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
Question: I noticed that whenever I siphon water out of the tank, I see tons of gunk just swirling around in the water, is that normal? And there's so much of it that it's still there when I add the new water..
This depends on quite a few things. How big is your tank? How much do you feed? How often do you do water changes? You might just need to do more or bigger water changes.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #2292 
stripedsocks
New Member
 
stripedsocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
This depends on quite a few things. How big is your tank? How much do you feed? How often do you do water changes? You might just need to do more or bigger water changes.
Well it's a 5-gallon and I usually do 50% changes once a week. Should I do a 100% change instead? Or will that mess up the cycle? o_o
stripedsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #2293 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
nel: And if you are like me, and can't find daphnia, frozen brine shrimp also work as a laxative, if not as well as daphnia.
So basically get one of those things and stop feeding any other food. You can do this alone or in addition to epsom salts. Good luck!
ty i'll try it, i tried giving him some brimeshrimp when he 1st arrived but he didnt recognise it as food unlike BWs.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #2294 
Kytkattin
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
Well it's a 5-gallon and I usually do 50% changes once a week. Should I do a 100% change instead? Or will that mess up the cycle? o_o
How long has it been set up? I would not do a 100% change, but instead maybe do 2 50% changes a week. You were having an algae problem too, right? That means you have too much organic material in the tank (aka, fish poop!)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #2295 
Kytkattin
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
ty i'll try it, i tried giving him some brimeshrimp when he 1st arrived but he didnt recognise it as food unlike BWs.
Well, it is worth a try. Since he is used to a feeding time, that might help. I usually dangle mine with tweezers to make them more appetizing. Garlic juice could help too!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #2296 
stripedsocks
New Member
 
stripedsocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
How long has it been set up? I would not do a 100% change, but instead maybe do 2 50% changes a week. You were having an algae problem too, right? That means you have too much organic material in the tank (aka, fish poop!)
Uhh ok I will start doing 50% changes twice a week then xD thanks!
stripedsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #2297 
Neil D
Member
 
Neil D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hiding from The Mods
Just so you know, you should never do a 100% WC on a cycled tank, unless there was a dangerous disease outbreak. It will screw up the cycle.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #2298 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Actually, neil, you can change the WATER fully in a cycling tank until you're blue in the face, but the real danger is over vacuuming as a way to remove water (ie, removing bacteria from the substrate).

Very little bacteria is in the water column, but lots is in the gravel by comparison.

If you have a lot of mulm (the cruds) in the tank after a siphon, remove your fish and turn your filter up FULL BLAST for about an hour or so. Not only will it settle down, but itll be sucked up, too.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #2299 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Well, it is worth a try. Since he is used to a feeding time, that might help. I usually dangle mine with tweezers to make them more appetizing. Garlic juice could help too!
i think dangling eont be a problem, he chases the toothpick either way. i could soak them in BW juice. i'll have to try it.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #2300 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
@ Bahamut

The box of API aquarium salt says, "...made from evaporated sea water.."

Therefore, probably not 100% sodium chloride.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 03:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 05:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.