Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #1 
Burd

Reflection Issues... what to do?

I got a new halfmoon king betta fish that is now in my 5 gallon hex tank. I got him a few anarchis bunches, a stone cave, a new light bulb, plugged in the filter and figured hey! This is good stuff!
(he has a heater, too, but because we're on the top floor of our complex during the summer it keeps warm enough that it's not needed. All of my tanks currently sit at 80 with the AC on. x.x)

So I turn on the new light and he starts flaring like crazy. My husband points out that he can see Chooba's reflection so he likely can too. Whenever I have his light on he goes crazy flaring and doesn't stop.

I don't mind turning his light off... but the plants in his tank do mind!

Got any idea what I might be able to do, short of wrapping the whole thing with white paper? Is his constant flaring going to take a toll on him? :/
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
Aven

From my pretty meager experience, all bettas flare alot when taken from the store cup/bag into the tank. Just give him a while in the dark, and he'll calm down. I also just got a halfmoon betta yesterday and hes been flaring like crazy, but when i woke up this morning he was exploring his tank.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #3 
kgs1992

Can you probably shift the tank in such a way that the reflection isn't visible?
And secondly, do you get enough natural sunlight in the room so as to avoid keeping the light on for long?
Thirdly, if nothing works, you could try replacing the plants with some other plants that require lesser amount of light.
Try it all out for a day or two & keep us posted.. :)
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 
tf1265

Give him a few days if he's new (as I'm sure you have by now, this post is a week old) to the tank, some bettas take a few days to adjust - especially going from a tiny tiny bowl to a large tank with plenty of room. It can take a while to adjust to all the space.

I've found that having a LOT of plants and hiding places makes it much easier on the better. Plant around the edges to block some of the reflective glass. What I did for my bettas? Go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of fake leafy stems in the fake flower section- the kind with larger, wide leaves- cut the long stems off, and stick them into the gravel of the tank (make sure you rinse them off well first!) until your plants are larger. Bettas need a LOT of hiding places to feel comfortable, even if they are only literally hiding from their own shadows. The more cover you can give him from the open space and the light, the happier he'll be with all his extra room to explore the jungle of plants you've provided.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #5 
bahamut285

What you see and what your betta sees are completely different most of the time due to the nature of light.

When you turn on his light, is the room dark? Try turning on a lamp near him and turning on his light as well and see what happens. I'm assuming your tank is a true hexagon instead of an elongated one?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #6 
Leeniex

I have to keep the lamp on whenever I have the tank light on for the same reason.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #7 
bahamut285

@Leeniex: Yes it's a property of light/glass. It's like how, at nighttime, if you have the lights on in your house and you look out the window you see a reflection of yourself.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #8 
Sowman

I bought new bettas' yesterday and they did the same thing. I had a backing on my aquarium; once removed they were okay. I'm not sure why the background would cause that but I'm sure it's because they are in a new environment.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote