Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #2301 
Neil D

@ Pew, Im aware of this, but its safer not too, not to mention the sudden difference of water parameters.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #2302 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
@ Bahamut

The box of API aquarium salt says, "...made from evaporated sea water.."

Therefore, probably not 100% sodium chloride.
Excellent, Hallyx, thank you.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #2303 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
@ Pew, Im aware of this, but its safer not too, not to mention the sudden difference of water parameters.
The sudden difference? So long as you acclimate, this is a non-issue.

Your pH would only slightly change and then return to its normal level within a few hours, very gradually (as it would anyway in time), the ammonia, nirtrate, etc would be lessened, but that's again a non-issue.

The hardness would remain the same, so long as you kept the same source water... And the temp would be alright too.

The "sudden difference" is no different than a 100% change in any other bowl.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #2304 
Foisair

I just got a new light for my 2 gal planted tank. It's a zoo med 6500k/10 watt/5" super daylight mini compact fluorescent bulb in a desktop lamp. How many hours a day should I leave it on so my plants get enough light? I have java fern, wisteria, amazon sword, a marimo moss ball and another plant that I'm not sure (it has single, broad leaves at the end of stalks with white, whispy roots.)
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #2305 
Neil D

I guess your right Pew. I meant like a tank with no (100%) changes in months. But bowls are changed weekly...but I guess your right (again).
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #2306 
bahamut285

@Foisair: You should slowly acclimate your plants to longer and longer hours of light. Most people start with around 6-8 hours of light, adding an hour or so every day until they reach 10-12 hours a day.

I recommend to read P3's Easy Plant Care guide for more information about your specific plants: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #2307 
nel3

i have a question to those using vita chem freshwater. can you add it to stress coat? i dont know if vita chem freshwater doubles up as a conditioner. im thinking of getting it to help my 2 betta heal their fins.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #2308 
bahamut285

I don't believe VitaChem is conditioner, I think it is literally just vitamins to spruce up your water. I have personally used both Prime and Stresscoat+ before together >_>
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #2309 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
I don't believe VitaChem is conditioner, I think it is literally just vitamins to spruce up your water. I have personally used both Prime and Stresscoat+ before together >_>
thank you, i'll add it into the stress coat. i just gotta go buy it tommorow.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #2310 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foisair View Post
I just got a new light for my 2 gal planted tank. It's a zoo med 6500k/10 watt/5" super daylight mini compact fluorescent bulb in a desktop lamp. How many hours a day should I leave it on so my plants get enough light? I have java fern, wisteria, amazon sword, a marimo moss ball and another plant that I'm not sure (it has single, broad leaves at the end of stalks with white, whispy roots.)
Can you get a picture of that last plant for us in the plant thread? We'll help you ID it there :D

And the biggest thing with that amount of light (fantastic, btw- theyll love it) is to go slow, yo! I would start out at around 6 hours for maybe 3 days, then bump to 8 hours for about 3-5 days, then bump to 9-10 hours for good. Longer never hurt.

If you give the plants too much light too fast, there could be a chance for algae to take over.

Make sure that fern doesnt get the brunt of the light, if possible. They like a bit less than most, and might brown and get grumpy if there's too much light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
I guess your right Pew. I meant like a tank with no (100%) changes in months. But bowls are changed weekly...but I guess your right (again).

:3 I dunno. That's just based on my experiences with tanks in the process of cycling.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote