Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #11 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
There's a sticky in the habitat section that shows how you can baffle a filter, so the current becomes comfortable for the betta. Bettas don't really like current. In fact, I ended up removing all my filters and just do a lot of water changes because they would clamp up and sit in a corner lol! But if you baffle it, it should be fine. Those plants and the Buddha sound good! Can't wait to see the setup. :D
Oh I read that thread before but that's not the issues actually, it's where the clean water comes out, not where the water gets sucked in. Should I just wrap that with something? So less water comes out and there will be less of a current.

Any who right now my water heater isn't working that well it's sitting at the 73 Fahrenheit range. I bought the Marina Submersible Aquarium Heater C10, 10w. Should I buy a bigger & stronger one because this one is just not doing it's damn job.

Thanks for your replies guys. :>
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #12 
fightergirl2710

But that tutorial is for the outflow.. :/ You can use a sponge to reduce current.. How long have you had the heater in for? Sounds iffy... I read some complaints about it being set wrong... I think you should get an adjustable one rather than a preset one... Sometimes when bettas get sick, you need to raise and lower the temperatures so you're better off with adjustable.. And this one doesn't seem to be doing its job anyway. X(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #13 
Micho

Yeah I might attach a small sponge to the end of the tube so the outflow is weaker and it won't push Jake around as much.

The heater is sitting around 75F now, it's really slow, it'll probably take awhile to reach the temperature I want it to.

Right now I'm kinda worried about Jake, when I put him into his new tank his gills started puffing up, like he's breathing REALLY hard. Should I be worried about that?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Did you acclimate him properly? Did you remember to put in the conditioner or the water? I can't really say. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #15 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Did you acclimate him properly? Did you remember to put in the conditioner or the water? I can't really say. :/
Yeah I did, but he seems to have cooled down now. I kinda freaked out and thought he committed Bettacide when I couldn't find him, luckily he was just sleeping behind a plant.

Anyways thanks for all your help! My water is around 76F mark now, it varies though. I wished it was a little bit higher but it'll do I guess. The only thing now is that nasty filter, I'll try attaching a sponge to the end so the outflow will be weaker.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. :]
Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #16 
Amphibianite

No problem hope to see pictures of your guy once he settles in ^_^
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #17 
Micho

Here are some pictures of Jake and his house. He's still a bit inactive though, I'll give him a few days before I start worrying.

And Jake himself. :>

The water temperature is slowly going up! It's around 78 Fahrenheit now, I'll keep a close eye on it before going to bed so it doesn't cook Jake into fish soup.

Also I stuffed some sponge into the outflow of the filter, it doesn't bother Jake anymore he usually just swims up next to the heater or will be hiding behind the fake plants.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #18 
Amphibianite

That is good to hear, and he is a gorgeous boy, he is very lucky to have a good owner like you ^_^
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Jake sure is a handsome fellow. I'm glad to hear you got the filter issue figured out. Don't be afraid to just chuck the filter if it gets to be too much work. And what kind of heater did you buy? Is it adjustable?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #20 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Jake sure is a handsome fellow. I'm glad to hear you got the filter issue figured out. Don't be afraid to just chuck the filter if it gets to be too much work. And what kind of heater did you buy? Is it adjustable?
The filter is a hit or miss at times. Mostly misses, I tried to stuff some sponge into the tube where the outflow was coming out, it would work, making the outflow current less powerful but then the sponge would get stuck meaning there would be little to none outflow at all. I'll see if I can get my hands on some cloth tomorrow that I'll tie to the head, maybe that'll work.

And I bought the Marina C10 Submersible Aquarium Heater (10w). It's not adjustable, it took a long time to heat up the water though, about 4 hours to get to 76F to 79F. Took about 7 hours in total to heat it up from 70 to 80. Right now it's sitting at 80F, so I feel pretty happy about it. :>