Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #11 
beasley

see you can see that he does still have some cream color tail left

but if you do look at the bottom left tail it does seem a lil pinkish & thats where he does have a faint red line..should i be worried?!?!

&& sorry the pictures arent clear . lame laptop
beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 
vette91

its a spitting image of my halfmoon! he's a bit of a tailbiter too :(
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #13 
BetterBetta

I don't think you should be worried, as either way you can treat it with AQ salt... in the mean time, clean water, and maybe move him to a larger container like a plastic tupperware so he has more spaced; it will reduce his biting!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #14 
beasley

cant move him anywhere else i dont want to risk killing him cuz of the soap we used to wash dishes. so its just a gallon arrowhead bottle. he seems fine cuz he does swim around but mostly he likes to rest on the indents..
beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #15 
NCPanthersgurl

Vette; I agree. When snappy said this wasn't a halfmoon I about shat. This reminds me of my Callisto who passed, who was actually a DTHM.

Beasley; I'm gonna say he's a halfmoon ;) In the meantime snappy was right, if not a bit rude, in saying that it's a bit empty in there for him. Betta's get bored really easily and if they don't have stuff to do tail biting can be a result. Treating him with a low dose of Aq. Salt will help if it's fin rot, and if it's not it will help with the new growth.

If you can move him somewhere bigger until you get the tank sorted out, I would. If you're concerned about soap, take whatever it is, soak it with hot water. When it cools, dump it and wash it out with white vinegar; has to be straight vinegar, can't have additives and stuff. Then rinse with hot water again, probably twice. And make sure you use tap water conditioner. That's what I do when I steal our dishes for the fish :P

If it's tail biting, he'll get bored in that bottle and it'll get worse. Switching containers on him may help with that, as long as the water is consistent. {aka if it's room temp, treated, do the same with the new container} He'll not consider the new container his tank for a bit, which will make him explore and help with the boredom aspect of tail biting. My Jazz, avatar fishy, has half a tail right now >.< I have to keep rearranging his tank every time I do water changes or he'll bite it off.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #16 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley View Post
is that what kind of fish he is?? here i am thinking he was a half moon. yeah i got him on a whim so i just got the plants and a divider in the meantime..im planning on adding gravel and such. and more plants just not sure which. cuz i am VERY new to this betta thing but im in love already :) its just soo hard cuz im on such a budget especially with a baby on the wayy!! :)

:/

THANK YOU!!!

Betta splendens is the genus species, there are alot of fish classified as bettas, the splendens are the most common and popular, the half moon refers to his tail type. I love his coloring! also welcome to the forum, Im glad you are in love with your new fishy friend already :)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote