Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #9141 
1fish2fish

I think it's unfair to come here and insult the mods of another forum. If you perhaps took the time to look around that forum and read the stickies you would have realized they have a stance against breeding pet store stock. They have this stance BECAUSE they love fish and they hate seeing the gene pool so diluted.. filled with deformity and over population. They want breeders working towards a goal no matter what the tail type is. A goal that will better the fish. The mod in question actually breeds Veil tails and her saying generic was not an insult... it was the truth. You can't throw a stone without hitting a blue and red multicolor veil tail. They are common. They are everywhere. It doesn't mean they're bad or ugly or whatever you think the word means. Hundreds die in pet stores yearly because not enough people want them. That is why the people of UB try to discourage breeding common colors and tail types.

That said if someone comes over there and says they're breeding VT and have this and this goal in mind and have a decent place for the fish to go then you won't find a better forum to be on. They have tons of very knowledgeable breeders there. Just because they don't always tell you what you want to hear doesn't make them mean or bad people.

That's all I'm going to say. I think it's very rude to come to another forum and bad mouth it and I think it may even be against forum rules.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #9142 
Neil D

I suppose what 1fish is saying makes sense, but you can't deny it was a little rude...(the people on another forum.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #9143 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just because they're knowledgeable does not give them the right to be rude.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #9144 
Sakura8

1fish has a valid point and I'm truly sorry if my personal comments offended you, 1fish. But I really believe the mod could have been more tactful in the words she chose. Generic is one of those words that is "iffy" as far as being offensive. Let's be honest, if you call a cereal "generic brand" we automatically assume it's inferior to "brand name cereal." I know I do, although I also acknowledge that I'm probably wrong in that assumption. I dunno, to me, generic implies cheap and low quality. I realize it means commonplace but for some reason the actual perception of the word has changed from its definition.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #9145 
1fish2fish

I didn't see anything rude. All she said is what are you planning to do with the fry because you're going to end up with some very generic fish. How is that bad? Generic, run of the mill, common, easy to find, not rare, not unusual... how many different ways can it be said? It was not meant as an insult and the poster even said that they didn't mean it as an insult. They just wanted to make sure the OP was aware that it will be harder to find homes for this type of fish because the are easier to find and thus people will be less inclined to pay to have them shipped (although its not impossible).

Edit to add.. I'm not mad at anyone in particular.. I just think it's a little distasteful to insult another forum on this one. If someone went over to UB and started badmouthing BF.com they'd have the topic closed and deleted in seconds.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #9146 
dragonflie

I hear what everyone is saying.

I have actually been a member over there for...a year and a half? I think. I read the thread in question, and I don't think it was that terrible. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's feelings by saying this, just having seen it from an outside perspective I think that it was a matter of each side being passionate about what they believe in. :)

One thing to remember in any forum, or anywhere really in which you are using text to communicate; is that wording can be taken more than one way many times. I knew that particular mod for a long while (from yet another forum) before I joined this particular forum; and she is actually a very kind person. But she isn't much of an emoter. She just tends to use alot of standard grammar, and there's nothing wrong with that. When you don't use emotes (as I seem to be addicted to) sometimes things can sound harsh when they aren't intended that way.

In short I think this was just a misunderstanding on the part of all responses.

So to be fair, to characterize the entire site as being rude is a bit unfair. ;) In the short time I've been here on this forum, I've seen much that I would consider in the realm of "rude," just as much if not more than over there. But then that is all subjective and based on perspective, isn't it? ;)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-23-2011 at 05:02 PM.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #9147 
Neil D

I, for one, was saying that that thread is kinda rude...

But text is hard to decipher for emotions. thats why we use emotICONS. XD
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #9148 
Sweeda88

I have to go to exercise class today. DO NOT WANT!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #9149 
Neil D

Rant: someone needs to help this person

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78847

(because I have no idea what to do, hint hint)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #9150 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I think it's unfair to come here and insult the mods of another forum.
Why? This is a rant section, if I cant voice my hurt feelings here then where can I ?

Quote:
If you perhaps took the time to look around that forum and read the stickies you would have realized they have a stance against breeding pet store stock.
Actually I did read the sticky and I let the mod know that I had. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on quality fish without any experience knowing how to spawn them correctly. That is just a recipe for failure. I used my current fish to gain the experience so that I can breed quality fish. The other mod didn't agree with my actions and apparently neither do you and that's fine. You have a right to your opinion.
Quote:
They have this stance BECAUSE they love fish and they hate seeing the gene pool so diluted.. filled with deformity and over population. They want breeders working towards a goal no matter what the tail type is. A goal that will better the fish. The mod in question actually breeds Veil tails and her saying generic was not an insult... it was the truth. You can't throw a stone without hitting a blue and red multicolor veil tail. They are common. They are everywhere. It doesn't mean they're bad or ugly or whatever you think the word means.
Generic does not mean common. Please show me a definition that states that generic means commonly found. Had she told me they were common I would have agreed because anyone who has even seen a Betta has seen a multicolor VT. However she said generic which is an insult. She is saying they are not as good as other fish, not that they are more common.
Quote:
Hundreds die in pet stores yearly because not enough people want them. That is why the people of UB try to discourage breeding common colors and tail types.
No hundreds of fish die everyday because WE the people don't care enough about fish to push legislation that protects them!! The fish are not dying from old age! They are dying because the pet stores treat them like expendable crap and they know they can get away with it!! Like I told your buddy over there if you wanna make a change than get up off your computer and start raising awareness about fish keeping!! Start a volunteer group to come and clean out all the Betta cups at the wal mart's and pets stores. Do you actually think you can prevent Betta deaths by attacking hobby breeders?? Seriously??

Quote:
That said if someone comes over there and says they're breeding VT and have this and this goal in mind and have a decent place for the fish to go then you won't find a better forum to be on. They have tons of very knowledgeable breeders there. Just because they don't always tell you what you want to hear doesn't make them mean or bad people.
Really?? Because I told your friend that I had homes for my Betta's and she still kept attacking me. Even going so far as to say I would have a hard time giving them away. Seems you didn't even bother to read the thread did you? You just jumped on the attack wagon just like they did...

Quote:
That's all I'm going to say. I think it's very rude to come to another forum and bad mouth it and I think it may even be against forum rules.
I think it's rude of you to jump into an issue without looking at both sides. I think it's wrong of you to come and defend someone just because you are close to them. I respect your loyalty but blind allegiance is not very wise.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou