Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
jackiekhaytin

feeding ring?

I have 1 very small white male halfmoon betta in a huge 10 gallon tank I'm afraid he doesn't see the food I give him, should I get a feeding ring?
jackiekhaytin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 
kathstew

You can get a feeding ring if you want.
Feeding him in the same place everyday really helps them see the food. I point to the food over and over again until they see it LOL XD
Try waiting until he's right near you, and then putting his food right near his head, so he can see it and smell it. As I said, feeding in the same spot will also help him find the food, as he will catch on to that very quickly.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #3 
SnowySurface

I just let them learn on their own. If I drop the food from the same place, they eventually figure out where the food is coming from. It took Luigi about 4 days and Snowy about 2 days to know where they should wait for food. In fact, I think they know what time of day they are feed as well. Unless they see me coming and think, "Yay! The human who gives us food is coming," before they get into position. Until then it was kid of fun watching them float around and the freeze when they noticed the food and then dart at it.

I wouldn't suggest the ring unles your fish has eye problems and can't see small pelets. I would let a fish learn on his own unless he just couldn't eat for more than 3 days. If he really can't see the food, just tap the surface of the water with your finger right after you put in the food. The water vibrations should get his attention and he will come to investigate. It's what I did for Luigi on day 3 and he knew where to go by the next day. Some fish just need a hint or two. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #4 
etcher

I actually tap on my Jack's tank when I feed him. He quickly figured out that it's feeding time. I also use a small dowel (about toothpick sized) that I wet in the tank slightly and then pick up a few pellets with the damp end. I then make sure he has a lock on his food as I hold it over the top close to the surface and then I release them into the water. It's entertaining for me (and him, it seems...) and I don't waste food in the water. Win-Win!
etcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use a feeding ring for my cellophane. I tap on the top of the tank before feeding him. Even with the feeding ring he still can't find the food too well but at least the ring keeps the food from floating all over the place where he'll never find it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #6 
Banicks

Noob question, what's a feeding ring?

I have been lucky, since I got my little guy on Sunday he isn't a picky eater (ate the pellets I gave him 2 hours after settling in his new tank).

I usually wait until he is near the surface for air, and I plop it near him. Takes him about a second and then he goes for it. I try and make feeding time around the same each day so he will be expecting it :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #7 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Noob question, what's a feeding ring?

I have been lucky, since I got my little guy on Sunday he isn't a picky eater (ate the pellets I gave him 2 hours after settling in his new tank).

I usually wait until he is near the surface for air, and I plop it near him. Takes him about a second and then he goes for it. I try and make feeding time around the same each day so he will be expecting it :)
A feeding ring is basically a ring of plastic that floats on top of your tank and that's where you put your choice of food in the ring.

There are many uses for feeding ring, if you have a community tank and some fishes aren't getting enough food because your other fishes are hogs. Or if you have a huge tank and only one fish, they might have trouble seeing where the food is. It also cuts down on the waste because it doesn't get sucked into the filter, or get scattered all over the place so more food gets eaten.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #8 
BabyBoyBlue

My betta naps on the part that connects the suction cup to the ring... or maybe he's just telling me that he's hungry...
BabyBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote