Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #1 
Dozzem

Talking Slimy friends we call snails!

Hey y'all! Sence I am changing my beta to a bigger tank, i'm thinking of putting a snail in the little 1/2 tank thing.

But... how do i take care of em, do you thinks its a good idea, and how y'all doin?
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #2 
Dozzem

Bump
Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #3 
doggyhog

Depends what type of snail you want. There are some that would probably be fine in a 1/2 gallon but would really appreciate more space. If you upgrade your current tank to 5+ gallons then you could totally get a Mystery Snail and house it with your betta. That is what i'd recommend. Mystery snails are very cool and get to be a good size. Not too big that you'd have to upgrade their tank, but not too small so that you can't find them in the tank. LOL

They are pretty easy to care for in my experience. You can feed them algae wafers, veggies, and fruit.

They are a bit dirty (They poop a LOT) so you'd have to clean the tank more often.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #4 
Dozzem

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Depends what type of snail you want. There are some that would probably be fine in a 1/2 gallon but would really appreciate more space. If you upgrade your current tank to 5+ gallons then you could totally get a Mystery Snail and house it with your betta. That is what i'd recommend. Mystery snails are very cool and get to be a good size. Not too big that you'd have to upgrade their tank, but not too small so that you can't find them in the tank. LOL

They are pretty easy to care for in my experience. You can feed them algae wafers, veggies, and fruit.

They are a bit dirty (They poop a LOT) so you'd have to clean the tank more often.
Hehe coolo

What about a 1 1/3 gallen bowl? :D
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 
doggyhog

For a mystery snail i'd recommend at least a 2 gallon. (By itself, NOT with a betta)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 
Dozzem

Okay :D

What other snailys are out there? (I will look at mystery snail) :D
Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 
doggyhog

I've heard that Nerite snails are really good. I've never had one myself, but apparently they can't breed in freshwater so you wouldn't get overpopulated.

Ramshorn snails are really cute too. Those breed really fast though!

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good too. I don't know a whole lot about Ramshorn or MTS but you can do some research and see if you'd like them. :)
Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #8 
Loralyn94

I have a black mystery snail that seems pretty low maintenence. I know that if your worried about it getting enough to eat then you can throw in some algae waffers and it will be okay. Personally mine just eats the left over fish food in the bowl for now, though i plan to get him some waffers soon.

As far as other snails go i'm not sure, my LPS only sells mystery snails. From the quick research i've done on them, MTS's seem like they can become more of a pest as they breed rapidly and once you have them theyre virtually impossible to get rid of. Evidently theyre hard to see as they mostly live in gravel and seeing them is usually a sign of poor water conditions. The same seems to be with ramshorn snails as well.

Nerite's on the other hand look like theyd be pretty good, from what i can tell. They are smaller and need slightly more demanding water conditions, but a couple things said that they can adapt to fresh water.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #9 
lcbrent

Nerite snails are a great option. I have 4 in my 55 g tank. Its true as to not breeding in fresh water. They have been in there for 2 month now and there are still just 4. They do an excelent job cleaning algea off my plastic plants and the walls where the algea eater doesn't get to. I've had a mystery snail before. I got 1. It turned into about a hundred or more in a month. by two months they had taken over my 10g tank. It took 3 cleanings and baking my rocks in the oven to get rid of them.

1 Nerite in your small tank would probly be a great addition. If you feen your betta flake food just put an extra pinch in every two to three days and the snail will be fine.

You'll probly have to find a local fish place (non-chain) but some chains will order specialy for you if you prepay. They are worth the trouble to find them. :)
lcbrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chat