Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #21 
harrypotter
Member
 
harrypotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I posted that I was not saying anything bad about people who choose that lifestyle. I just said it's unnatural and therefore equals an unhealthy choice. Not to mentian all the recent studies proving it's unhealthy.
i'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but putting it like that could apply to many other situations like homosexuality. i just think the term "unnatural" is a little dangerous to play with so thanks for clarifying! no harm done here, i love my steak!
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #22 
Bettas Rule
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
i'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but putting it like that could apply to many other situations like homosexuality. i just think the term "unnatural" is a little dangerous to play with so thanks for clarifying! no harm done here, i love my steak!

I understand what you are saying. Just a quick question though...if a horse started running around and trying to eat cows and goats would that still be a natural behavior? Humans have always eaten meat, the only time we didn't is when meat was in short supply. Even people who live in areas with a lack of meat tend to eat bugs to get their protein. Humans would not be around today without eating meat. So my question is, when a human rejects their natural food source why is that still considered a natural behavior when their is nothing natural about it?
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #23 
harrypotter
Member
 
harrypotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I understand what you're saying and I personally am a very fond meat eater, but I know lots of people who don't eat meat for various reasons and I wouldn't consider any of their actions 'unnatural'. It's not something I'd choose, but that's the great thing about humans - we all have free will. I hate to keep bringing it back to the subject, but in the 1500's, a man would be put to death for sexual relations with other men - it was considered unnatural. Look at where we are now though. Humans are always evolving and something that might be considered unnatural once ago can be very natural today.

I just don't believe myself or anybody else for that matter is in any sort of position to determine what is 'natural' for somebody, that's all.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
With a properly balanced diet and the use of vitamins as a supplement, there's no reason that it's any more unhealthy to be vegetarian or vegan than to eat meat.

Who cares if it's unnatural? It's not natural to keep fish the way we do; it's not natural to feed a pet dog or cat a processed diet, but we still do. And unless you're eating organic meat, sadly products such as beef and chicken are so pumped full of hormones and drugs it's not very natural at all.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #25 
Bettas Rule
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
I understand what you are saying and I respect your opinion.
I just have done lots of research on the subject, and when you look at the children and infants who were starved to death because of parents trying to do a completely vegetarian diet and the kids that have mental disoreders from a lack of fatty acids for proper brain development you begin to look at vegetarianism in a different light. Adult can abuse their bodies and it's not till much later that the effects come to the light. However in children since they are growing and need proper nutrition the effects of a no meat diet are intensified.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I would wager there are more children now suffering from obesity problems because of a high-fat, low-nutrient diet than there are children suffering from problems associated with vegetarianism.

When done correctly a vegetarian diet is no less harmful than one that is inclusive of meat.

It's all about balance, and you really can't attack a whole demographic of people because of the ignorance of a few.

I eat meat and am very aware that my steak was once a cow and my bacon was once a pig, but that doesn't mean I'm going to look down on people who choose to have different beliefs than me.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #27 
Bettas Rule
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
With a properly balanced diet and the use of vitamins as a supplement, there's no reason that it's any more unhealthy to be vegetarian or vegan than to eat meat.

Who cares if it's unnatural? It's not natural to keep fish the way we do; it's not natural to feed a pet dog or cat a processed diet, but we still do. And unless you're eating organic meat, sadly products such as beef and chicken are so pumped full of hormones and drugs it's not very natural at all.
Sorry but that's not true. I have done countless hours of research and I can prove it's extremely unhealthy without a shadow of doubt. Without being a nutritionist it's impossible to know just how bad it is on your body. My father is a nutritionist and I have listened to countless hours of harping from him about it, and I have read his medical journals and health journals and I am well informed on the subject. My father believes that ALL diseases are lack of nutrition and or stress. He doesn't believe in medicine and he is 69 years old and still looks like he is 36 (except his gray hair). He still runs daily and would out pace most people half his age. Sure you will lose weight by not eating meat but no one said being skinny is the key to good health. You cannot just take a multi vitamin and think everything is OK. In fact there is no guarantee your body will absorb the multivitamin. Our body is not designed to take vitamins in pill form, it's designed to take the vitamins out of the food. Not to mention how tricky vitamin and mineral absorption really is for the human body.If you don't believe me just do a search on studies about multivitamins being a scam.
It's not something our bodies are designed for, and if the supermarkets shut down and food stopped being shipped in vegetarians would not be able to continue with being vegetarians. in fact most of them would die because they wouldn't be able to eat meat without getting sick. The worst thing it does is effect the brain, our brain needs fatty acids from meat to work properly and that's why brain development is hindered in children exposed to vegetarian diets.
The proof is everywhere if you just look for it.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #28 
Bettas Rule
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I would wager there are more children now suffering from obesity problems because of a high-fat, low-nutrient diet than there are children suffering from problems associated with vegetarianism.

When done correctly a vegetarian diet is no less harmful than one that is inclusive of meat.

It's all about balance, and you really can't attack a whole demographic of people because of the ignorance of a few.

I eat meat and am very aware that my steak was once a cow and my bacon was once a pig, but that doesn't mean I'm going to look down on people who choose to have different beliefs than me.

I don't look down on vegetarians I am saying it's unhealthy and unnatural. Please don't try to make this personal as it is not. I have already clarified that I am not attacking the people. I feel that many of them are being scammed and I feel sorry for them that they have been mislead.

I have never heard of a child dying of obesity but I can show you more than a few infants and toddlers who were starved to death by their vegetarian parents.

Here is a tragic example...
Quote:
Two vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.
Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.
When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint-Maulvis, a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.
The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.
The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.
An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.
"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne-Laure Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of Amiens where the trial is taking place.
The couple has been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face up to 30 years in prison if convicted.
Quote:
— A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.
Quote:
The parents of a nine-month-old girl who died after being fed a fruit-based diet have been spared a jail sentence.
Areni Manuelyan died of a chest infection, brought on by malnutrition in July 2000 weighing just eleven and a half pounds, six pounds less than she should have. At her post mortem she was found to be markedly thin, dehydrated and to have severe pneumonia - all of which could be linked to malnutrition. At their trial, her parents, Garabet and Hazmik Manuelyan, both 45, pleaded guilty to child cruelty.
That would normally have resulted in a prison sentence. But at the Old Bailey on Friday, Judge David Paget said what had happened to the family was punishment enough.
This is just a few examples and I have not even touched the kids that survived and the health problems that they have suffered.

I am sorry that you refuse to see the truth but it's out there.....

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 08-24-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #29 
harrypotter
Member
 
harrypotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
You need to seriously stop. Everybody has their own opinions. You made yours quite clear and now it's time to probably let it go before you seriously offend people.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #30 
Bettas Rule
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
You need to seriously stop. Everybody has their own opinions. You made yours quite clear and now it's time to probably let it go before you seriously offend people.

I am not being rude not sure why you are getting upset. Can two people not express different views without it being a problem? No insults have been thrown and I have been VERY clear about the fact that I am not making a judgment on the people who chose this lifestyle choice. Why is it wrong for to people to have a debate and express different views in a civilized way?

I have presented facts to back up what I have said and I have said it in a very nice way. Smoking kills and that's a fact. Does me debating the health of smoking as a lifestyle choice mean that I am making a judgment on smokers. NO it just means I am saying smoking is bad for your health. Why do you choose to make it a personal attack?

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 08-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh my goodness, check this guy out! Bettaluver4evr Betta Pictures 9 02-15-2011 10:57 AM
Oh my goodness, Hero! TheJadeBetta Betta Chat 10 07-25-2010 09:36 PM
Thank goodness SaylorKennedy Betta Fish Care 8 10-19-2009 09:05 AM
Oh my goodness! doggyhog Betta Fish Care 26 08-15-2009 06:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.