Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #11 
dbockrath

I have 3 golden apple snails in a 10 gallon aquarium with my female betta and they poop a lot (to the point where I could see a lot of poop floating in the bucket the first time I did a water change after I got them). If I had it to do over again, I'd only have gotten 2. I was overfeeding too, though. I was giving them 2 algae wafers every night and I think 1 is plenty, broken into pieces so they don't have to crawl on top of each other to eat.

Also, don't panic if you see one floating--they do float when they're dead, but some just enjoy floating. They let the air out of their shells somehow when they want to get back down.

I was surprised at how fascinating my snails are. I love watching them slither around (especially at night when they're much more active).
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #12 
Foxell

My two golden and blue mystery snails were a great addition to my tank, but they're not for everyone. They cleaned up algae really well, but when I feed them certian foods they do produce a lot of poo. Especially with lettuce. My ghost shrimp does a pretty good job at helping clean up after them. They're also really fun to watch! I love mine to bits, haha <3
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #13 
dbockrath

I noticed that with lettuce too. After I had the snails for a couple of weeks, the ammonia didn't seem elevated but the water was turning a nasty yellow color. I cut the algae wafers I gave them every night from 2 to 1 and stopped giving them lettuce. It seemed to clog the filter anyway.

I was really relieved my betta doesn't seem aggressive to them at all. She enjoys watching them, I think, but I've never seen her nipping at them. She did push them off the walls a few times the first couple of days. I'd really hesitate to put a male betta in with them though. If they outlive Peachy, I'd probably get another female betta.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote