Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #1 
Laki

BettaFix

What's wrong with bettafix?? I just found a thread where people are reporting not to use it?!? I'm on day 3!! I was told it's a good product Now I feel stupid.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
HarlequinBBRM

BettaFix/MelaFix had tea tree oil(?) in it which can damage a betta's labyrinth organ (what they use to breath), so long term use will harm your fish's breathing.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 
audjree

taken from this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=789437

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Alright... First. Dont let some noob come in here and be all OMG, I HEARD IT WAS AWFUL THIS ONE TIME!

There's a ton of misinformation around out there... It all started from one thing, and spiraled out of controlled via rumors, hear say, all of that.

Bettafix is watered down melafix.

Melafix is tee tree oil (melacula oil), an antiseptic.

Melafix does not and cannot:
CURE fin rot
CURE columnaris
CURE anything, really.

It CAN, however:
Keep fins and wounds clean, since its an antiseptic.
Helps heal injuries a bit faster.

It can damage their labrynth organ, IMO.

There's another reason its so widely warned about, too-

Overdose.

That, and only that, really, is the biggest issue with melafix

But see, I didnt say Bettafix.

Because its not an issue with bettafix. Betta fix, though still potentially damaging, cant really be overdosed unless you went NUTS on it, and put an ungodly amount in.

Its watered down to a very large degree.

The reason so many people freak out about bettafix is because of its relation to melafix and the issues an overdose can cause-- and OD on melafix is pretty easy, you need to be careful.

If you ever use melafix, use no more than 1/4 the dose recommended.

Bettafix can be used probably at normal dose, but if you really feel the need to use it, under dose it a bit for good measure.

In general, betta fix and melafix arent worth it. Just use AQ salt!

And that's my two cents :)

thanks, PewPewPew. haha (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
Laki

Oh!! What a relief! Thanks for clarifying! He's been so much more active in his new tank thing (which is when I added the bettafix) that I thought it was doing good.. Despite the strong odor. I will promptly cut his dose in half and see if it helps him as is. Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #5 
Laki

Ok, done some more digging around. I think Lakitu has fin rot. They've been getting thinner. And he has what I think might be velvet on his head. The "velvet" is white and not gold colored as mentioned in the sickness thread I just read. Can I buy sea salt tonight and treat him? I cannot get to pet store for aq salt tonight, maybe tomorrow but I wanna do something tonight!!

He is not rubbing against anything as if he's itchy..He's acting perfectly fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

To treat fin rot, use aquarium salt, not sea salt (which will kill him). The dose is 1tsp./gal at a max of a 10 day treatment, with 100% daily water changes and re-adding the salt mix.
It's easier to pre-mix the salt in a gallon jug.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 
Laki

So... No sea salt?? O.o It's kosher with nothing added to it like iodine or whatever.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

OOOHHHH Table salt!? I was thinking Marine salt. xD

I believe that kosher salt is ok...I'm not really sure on that though.

I found this though...
http://www.yamatogreen.com/salt.htm
" Table salt contains additives which you may not want in your tank. Most opponents to table salt cite the addition of Potassium Iodide to the salt, but I do not believe this is a concern. However, many brands of salt contain anti-caking agents such as Yellow Prussiate of Soda, which contains Cyanide. Yes, the dosage is quite small, but why would you WANT to add something potentially harmful to fish when there are readily available alternatives."

So I guess it's up to you, really. I'm sure a day of it wouldn't do harm...but not sure on that.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
OOOHHHH Table salt!? I was thinking Marine salt. xD

I believe that kosher salt is ok...I'm not really sure on that though.

I found this though...
http://www.yamatogreen.com/salt.htm
" Table salt contains additives which you may not want in your tank. Most opponents to table salt cite the addition of Potassium Iodide to the salt, but I do not believe this is a concern. However, many brands of salt contain anti-caking agents such as Yellow Prussiate of Soda, which contains Cyanide. Yes, the dosage is quite small, but why would you WANT to add something potentially harmful to fish when there are readily available alternatives."

So I guess it's up to you, really. I'm sure a day of it wouldn't do harm...but not sure on that.
Kosher salt without any additives (such as the yellow prussiate of soda mentioned above) is fine to use and works well. I think people are a little leery of suggesting it because it would be so easy for somebody to just pick some up without checking the ingredients.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #10 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Kosher salt without any additives (such as the yellow prussiate of soda mentioned above) is fine to use and works well. I think people are a little leery of suggesting it because it would be so easy for somebody to just pick some up without checking the ingredients.

Kumi
i agree. to be on the safe side, i would just pick up some AQ salt, but that's just me. i never like to risk things with my fish. if you're sure that there's no additives, then it's your call.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote