Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #1 
Punki

Fry food question

How often should i be feeding my 37 day old fry? Ive kept to the 3-4 times a day small amount but now i have two fry with slight buoyancy problems because they nip the rest away and eat EVERYTHING. Some eat till full then go rest but not these two. Right now they are in epsom salt treatment, one has been in it for 3 days now with no improvement yet, the other i cupped out last night and started after noticing it resting on the bottom and dragging its fatter then usual tummy around. Both can swim up and catch food but they tend to tilt vertically while resting and sink a bit. Right now they get...
Breakfast time-mosquito larvae and daphina
lunch-white worms and bbs
dinner-mosquito larvae and daphina again
bedtime- wellsoaked decap bbs thats nonhatching, just to get them used to things that dont wiggle
At first i thought i couldnt be overfeeding but then i looked at a few websites with some wrong/right info but they mention lowering to two feeds a day at 1 month. Sooo whats your feeding schedule after the first month and how could i improve mine so i dont have anymore with issues.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I always found, with first borns (worked in a pet store and learned lots) is usually fry get fed four times a day when young, but very very very very sparingly each time. Then at 1 month, about twice a day suffices. After that they can stay at twice a day, which is what I still feed my adults who get live/dead mosquitos, bloodworms (freezedried), tropical flakes, and betta flakes.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #3 
Punki

Thank you. I guess i have been overfeeding, some knew their limits but a couple just gorged out. Im hoping they didnt do permanent damage on their swim bladder but i think one may have, shes slowly getting less level even though shes getting 100% daily epsom salt treatment and limited feedings.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

For swimmer's bladder, try cooking and shelling a pea. Put a little bit in, for her to eat. This will also help with constipation. It works, it's harmless, it's great :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 
Punki

Im not sure they are constipated, they poop plenty, they just tend to...be pigs and push their siblings out of the way and steal food out of others mouths.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

it's best to separate the "piggies" from the rest. They will always over eat so you need to limit their rations.

I avoid what you're experiencing by over feeding them.... ??? My logic is that if food is always available, thus they don't need to compete for it. I always have tubifex and daphnia in the fry tanks. I add ML and chopped FBW 2 - 3 times a day. If for some reason I run out of tubifex and daphnia, my fry tend to eat till they're about to burst (ML/FBW). But I seldom have problems .... from over feeding.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 
Punki

Yeah mine have always had access to infusoria and nematodes the first 2 weeks then mosquito larvae at least, I usually just dump in mosquito larvae and let them eat as they wish. I figured fry werent pigs like adults but i was wrong :P throughout the day they will grab the mosquito larvae up, except these two. They want to eat everything on sight D; Well im glad i got them out when i did and not later, hopefully i can minimize their damage like this. Thanks again indjo
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I'm with Indjo.. I usually haven't had issue with buoyancy but occasionally get one or two pigs. I've found that normally they sort themselves out as they grow but on occasion it's necessary to limit the feedings... usually if by 2-2.5 months the pig is still having issues I jar them (if I haven't already) and monitor their eating closer.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote