Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #1 
Princess Penny

Tips for a newbie?

I'm new to this forum (I've found so much useful information already!) but I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to fish, I had a 20gal tropical freshwater tank until I moved halfway across the country and was not able to take it with me. I had an angelfish and two gourami, and some live plants (amazon swords). I really missed having fish, but didn't have the time or money to keep up with a larger tank, so shortly after moving, I got a betta and plopped him in a 1/2gal vase. Awful, I know! Well I now have a job and know better, (and luckily my betta has survived), and have ordered a 6.6gal tank for him (this one to be exact). I'm really excited! Can't wait for it to arrive and get it set up and cycled so I can get him in there. I think he'll be so much happier.

The tank comes with a hood, light, and a filter but that's about it. I picked up a thermometer and 50watt heater today, will that be strong enough? On the box it says for 2-10 gallon tanks. I have substrate and the decorations from his little bowl that I'll put in, and also something for him to be able to hide in. Is there anything else I'm forgetting that I should pick up? I have food and water conditioner already of course. Any recommendations for live plants that would do well in a smaller tank? I think an amazon sword, what I used to have, would probably get too big...

Thanks!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Penny, welcome :)

I think you will find this thread very useful for decisions in your water plants - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

The heater should work, normally it takes 5 watts to heat one gallon.

I want that tank but its like 75$ here >.<

I like to keep some aquarium salt on hand - just on case. And stress coat.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #4 
Princess Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I like to keep some aquarium salt on hand - just on case. And stress coat.
Good idea, I used aquarium salt in my old tank (added some every water change). Completely forgot about it. Do bettas like to have it in the tank routinely, or just on hand in case of illness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Hi Penny, welcome :)

I think you will find this thread very useful for decisions in your water plants - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Thank you! Missed that thread somehow, whoops. Should be quite helpful. I am definitely wanting to get some marimo (they are so cute!) and someone else recommended anubias species to me, looks like a good one to start with according to that as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

There are different opinions on whether to put salt in the tanks at all times. I used to before but now I've stopped. The salt can damage the betta's kidneys and can also make things like fin rot and other infections resistant to a salt treatment when you really need it. I had this experience when one of my bettas who's tank I would always have salt in got fin rot and no matter what dosage of salt I tried I couldn't save his fins. Even though they're healed now, they're stubby. :( This could have been an isolated case but I'm not taking the chance again lol!
There are many breeders who keep salt in tanks at all times as a preventive and say its completely ok. So in the end, its up to you whether you want it in or out. :>
And welcome to the forum!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #6 
SnowySurface

Hi and welcome. :)

I have two of that exact tank. So far my fish like it. The heater you have is fine since I'm using the same watts and the temp stays steady at about 79-80. The filter it came with is kind of crappy so I replaced it with a Tetra 10i. I did have to stick some filter sponge into the lower intake so it wouldn't pull in my fish's fins, but now it's safe for their tails. :)

The hood that comes with it works well, but I don't know if the light bulb works well for plants. I only have silk plants so I'm going to use the free bulb until it goes out. I have seen some algae growth on a clay ornate my fishes hide in, so the bulb can help plants grow at least a little. I figured I would mention that in cause you do use live plants. I think a lot of members are fans of moss balls since they fit well in smaller tanks.

It doesn't seem like you are forgeting anything. Your fish should be happy in his new home.
SnowySurface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #7 
Princess Penny

fightergirl - that is a good point. I will probably pick some up since it doesn't cost much, to have just in case.

Snowy - good to hear from someone who has this tank! It seems to have pretty good reviews, with the biggest cons being the that the filter is a little noisy (some people think it is loud, but others disagree) but it is supposed to be adjustable, so we'll see. I also found something in the reviews about the light bulb and live plants, seems like the one it comes with can support java moss/ferns, anything more will probably need a better bulb but that wouldn't be a big deal. I will probably add plants one at a time anyway, last time I added a bunch all at once they didn't do so well!

I am stalking the package like a crazy person ever since they sent me a tracking number yesterday, LOL. It is currently in transit in my city and should arrive today, so I should be able to set it up when I get home from work. Will probably let it run overnight, then put Mr. Nameless Betta in tomorrow. Yay!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Cool. :) I hope your tank arrives safely! :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 
Princess Penny

Whoohoo! Tank is all set up, letting it sit overnight before putting my betta in though. But I think it's looking great! I'm really happy with it so far. The filter is a bit loud especiallywith the flow turned down, but it's in the living room so it shouldn't really be a bother. I went to Petco and picked up a tufa rock with some fake plants on it, and a crypto, I hope it thrives... not sure if my substrate is deep enough for the roots or not? I wanted a moss ball but the ones at Petco were pretty brown and pathetic looking, so I went to a local fish shop and found the cutest little one! It's smaller than I wanted but it is nice and green under the light and seemed healthy. The lady at the store said they can grow bigger if you rotate them occasionally? We'll see :)

ETA: I don't have the hood on either yet, the water I used to fill it with was apparently a little warm lol. Figure the temp would settle out a little fasted this way XD

Last edited by Princess Penny; 08-26-2011 at 09:21 PM.