Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Breeding my betta (Spartan)?

So, I have been told (rudely, hate those people anyways) that bettas can only breed when they are under 8 months. Except... stores sell them... at 5-8 months.... Sooo buybreedbuybreedbuybreed? -.- unlikely.

Anyways, my male is about 2.5 years, and had never flared until I got my female (equal size to him, 8 mos), and instead of flaring AT her, he flared...FOR her. Strutted his stuff, fins expanded twice I have ever seen them lol.

So, is it actually possible for me to breed him? At what REAL(ish) age are bettas no longer able to breed?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 
Punki

Its better to breed them early, thats why many ppl buy from a breeder but i personally used my petstore guy whos about 1 and a half years old. The main problem with breeding old bettas is that the act itself may be too much, even with a well conditioned older one. Ive even read of males that were 6-8 months dying afterwards. He may tire out halfway through, or tire out and lose interest in the female. I have read that after spawning their immune system is weak and they become susceptible to diseases. Mine being a year and a half old, i conditioned him very well, left him in until the fry freeswam then qt'd him in aquarium salts for 10 days, giving him mass amounts of mosquito larvae for protein. Even now hes a bit lethargic but slowely regaining his personality and i think he may be going blind.( its been alittle over a month since the spawn) So its sort of at your own risk. It always is but with older bettas alittle more so, but if you are careful and condition well, then remove and spoil rotten it may work. I weighed my odds and chose to try because i love my oldman and wanted a baby to remember him by :P
Really as long as he is alive and healthy and conditioned he can possibly spawn if he feels like it :P

Last edited by Punki; 08-25-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Well that makes more sense :) lol I never liked the "you're stupid they have to be bred by 8 months or else" kind of answers >< Which in my opinion is an answer I expect by people who probably never tried breeding bettas, or breeding older ones lol.

By the way, nice female in your picture :) Pretty colors. My friend found a green and purple one - but was unable to get it.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Like Punki said, often you want a younger fish just because they are more energetic and can handle it better.

Breed at your own risk though, Even the younger males often don't handle spawning well.

Good luck!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

That makes sense :) I do have an 8 month old female, and a 5 month old male. We rarely have females to buy here...
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #6 
mernincrazy8525

the older the male the more females it produces in a spawn. and the older they are the more prone to disease they are.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #7 
Punki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mernincrazy8525 View Post
the older the male the more females it produces in a spawn. and the older they are the more prone to disease they are.
I hadnt read anything about older=more females but that makes sense, thanks for that info!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #8 
Creat

I have breed up to 3 year old for a male keep in mind the end result was 5 fry and was a lot of work to care for the male after spawning.. like those said before me they are more susceptible to disease
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

So if I may interject my question to clarify. No matter the age of the male it can kill them to spawn? So say under a year old (being no one knows exactly how old a petstore male is) they will still suffer problems after mating? I am extremely curious because I have a male I adore and wish to breed, but I do not to chance losing him. He is my most stunning looking male.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #10 
mernincrazy8525

yes they can die after spawning because it tires them out. thats why you pamper them after spawning and put them in a quarintine tank.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote