Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 
aurasoulful

Rasaboras

I have a ten gallon tank housing one male beta. I was thinking of adding Rasaboras into this tank someday. I have a QT tank on hand to help arrange the plan. I hear they can be very happy in a larger school. How many rasaboras should I have in a school? Thanks guys :)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #2 
diablo13

A school of Rasboras are considered 6, at a minimum, but 7-8 is much better. Which type of Rasbora are your planning to get?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Harlequin rasboras are supposed to be the most peaceful.. I've heard others can get nippy. You should get 6 like Diablo said.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Thanks for a replies guys. I was thinking to get Harlequins since I've heard they are the most peaceful and not so brightly colorful as to threaten Fernando (beta). So would 8 fish be pushing the limit? Thanks for your help
Old 08-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

I think 6 is pushing it personally, in a 10 gallon.. XD They get up to 2 inches I believe.. Maybe stick with 6? Or think about a smaller fish if you want more.. Like neons perhaps? :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 
aurasoulful

Yeah, 6 is a lot of fish. I could give neons a try. I hear they are a bit sensitive though. I don't know how well I would do with them. What do you think would be minimum class size for neons? Thanks again. I'm full of questions.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 
Creat

What kind of filter do you have? I dont think it would get to crowded if cared for properly. I had Harlequins once and I loved them.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #8 
diablo13

Neons is the same, get 6 as a minimum.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #9 
dragonflie

I have harlies, I'd agree that 6 is pushing it in a 10, but if you're filtered well and are vigilant about changes (live plants too even better) it could work out.

Behaviorally they will appreciate some "blank" swimming space along with some broad leaved plants somewhere in the mid to upper level. When they spawn they zoom all in and out of the vegetation, chasing each other; and the females will upend themselves and rub their bellies on the undersides of the leaves. :) I wouldn't worry much about ending up with babies...eggs get eaten fairly quickly. :( I believe one of my links in my sig shows a video of this.

As far as the betta, I will say what I always do; depends on his temperament. Harlies can get quite brightly colored orange when they are happy, and while sometimes mine are pretty "chill" sometimes they are the opposite; very zippy, when they are courting and when they are eating. In the mornings when I feed mine I hear the jaws music in the background, I swear. Very fast little voracious buggers. It may or may not stress your betta out. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by dragonflie; 08-26-2011 at 02:27 PM.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #10 
aurasoulful

I have a baffled Aqueon filter with intake tube and outflow. It's fairly powerful, in fact maybe too powerful. (Still current even when baffled) I also have a few live plants right now. I'm going to get more plants and good hiding places. Fernando has his floating log and a cave in there already. I got the beta 2 weeks ago. He was full size when I got him, he might be at least a year old. He might be grumpy with company. XD I'll give it a try though.