Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #1 
Andrometer

Exclamation Bloated..? ;A;

So uh... earlier today, my fish was completely normal size. I check on him tonight, and he looks bloated. ;A;
I haven't been overfeeding him (3-4 fair-sized pellets (TopFin brand) a day, morning and afternoon meal, normal amount, I thought!) but now I wonder if I haven't been underfeeding him and... he turned to his plants? ;_;
I've seen him nibble on the leaves before, but never thought anything of it... It looks a little like the anacharis are stripped of leaves in places, but I'm not sure if they were like that before. (I'm inclined to say no.)
I've moved the plants from his tank to the spare 2.5 I had, but...
I'm so scared- what if I've endangered my fish's life with plants? Can he ever be kept with plants again..? I was going to get new ones to qt tomorrow... ;___;
Does this even look/sound like eating-related bloat? What do I dooo? ;-;

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78* F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TopFin Color Enhancing (42% protein)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-50% and 1-100% per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fatty ;-;
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really... Just woke him up to see him, so he's a little slow. :I
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About an hour ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? From PetCo about a month ago

Last edited by Andrometer; 08-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Andrometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi Andrometer,

I have no experience with live plants or betta eating plants. Hopefully someone will come along to give your some advice on that. My understanding is that since they are carnivorous, plants generally don't interest them. They may nip at them out of curiosity at times, but will likely spit them back out, or they were starving and may resort to nipping at them. Do you see any remnants of leave parts in your filter? To me, your feeding schedule and amount seem very reasonable and he definitely doesn't look emaciated.

Based on your photo, he honestly looks good to me. I don't see any signs of bloating at all. And he seems to be under great care from you.

Besides looking a little "bloaty" to you, is he exhibiting any other signs like floating to the top, listing sideways, not interested in food, sinking to the bottom, gasping for air, hasn't pooped lately etc? If your answer is no to all, I really don't think you have got anything to worry about. Just continue to observe him.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 
Andrometer

After looking at photos of other bettas, his size sort of seems fine to me as well, now- so maybe he's not as bad off as I thought... xD;

The part that concerned me was the suddenness! He was quite literally much smaller earlier today, and relatively huge when I looked at him a little while ago! O_O
And, other than being a little sleepy (woke him up at 12:30, midnight 8C) he really seems fine. He swam fine, was responding to me, didn't seem "unbalanced", breathing normal... Even seemed interested in the pellet container, though I don't want to give him any tonight and possibly make him worse ahaha...
Nothing in the filter that I can see. ovo

The only thing I have left to suspect is the poor, tattered plants. XD;
I wonder if he's just a young betta and wants more food than I'm giving him... I have a weird fish...
Andrometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #4 
Micho

He's sounds perfectly fine. So no worries! <:
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I agree...he looks fine and since his overall behavior is fine as well....I wouldn't worry....but do watch him as I am sure you do......

Add the plants back.....lots of good microorganisms colonize on the plants that the Betta will graze/feed on for added nutrition......and even if he eats a leaf or two it not harmful....generally fish know what they can eat, however, it not uncommon for them to eat things they shouldn't and usually can pass it without issues....fish have a lot of great enzymes and gastric acids to break things down in the gut......

Feed a good quality varied diet in small frequent meals....

In a 5gal filtered tank with established nitrogen cycle...I would make 1-50% weekly water change with vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month to maintain water flow to the nitrifying bacteria......

Since you have been doing 100% water changes the tank is most likely not cycled and you may need to add an extra 50% water only change between the regular 50% with vacuum until the tank is cycled....with fish-it can take 4-8 weeks.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, eating, plants