Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

Time frame for sorority supervision?

I know that I will have to be contantly checking to make sure everyone is playing nice, but I wondered what some of the sorority owners would suggest would be the time frame I should comit to near constant supervision before I relax a bit. I know it does depend on my girls to some extent, but in general, how much time have some of you dedicated to the introduction stage of the sorority? A day? Two? Three? Any advise would be welcome.
Some info on the group.
There will be 9 girls, all close in size, the smallest also seems to be the biggest spitfire personality. The tank is a standard 20 gallon. There are 2 multi opening large hiding places as well as one small cave and 2 cups(transparent cup, if that in itself is a problem I can remove them). Right now there are 3 small plants, 3 tall and 2 medium.

Edit: currently the girls are all in their own containers with view of at least one other girl. I have been shifting them around some when I do water changes so that they have new neighbors to interact with.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
kathstew

When I set up my sorority, I stayed in my room pretty much the whole day, for about 2 days. But I watched them closely for about a week, as well as my mom watching for me the first week while I was at school.
When you put them in, remember to put the least aggressive in first, ending with the most aggressive. :)
I'd watch them closely at least for a few hours. I kept the lights somewhat low as well.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #3 
obiwansolo18

I kept an eye on my sorority for the first two days, but really not like sitting in the room just checked ever hour or so. They where fine after the initial figuring out who was in charge.
obiwansolo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #4 
CoverMeInClay

Thanks, that's about what I was figuring for. I appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

I always feed them in their cup before adding them in. I've gotten away with just dumping them all in at once, up to five at a time, since a full belly takes away a LOT of aggression. I've only had two girls who were so violent that another had to be removed for its safety, one was Moon who went crazy keeping another girl at the surface for about 40 hours straight. When I re-introduced her after Clowntail died I had to take her back out to put her down, she immediately went berzerk and attacked everyone.

The other was a tiny one who was really good at tail nipping. I put her in with Emo (male) inside the 3-way and let him punt it around the tank for a while. Seemed to get her attention. This out of fortyish girls.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
CoverMeInClay

Those are some pretty good odds you have there for that many. My tank should be done cycling by nexst weekend, sicne I have 3 days off I should be able to keep a good eye on them. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #7 
Silverfang

Ohh that sounds good, so a weekend or possible long weekend should be enough time for the constant monitoring. I'm planning one out so every tidbit of information helps! :) thanks
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote