Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

Microworms can mean "Microworms' but it can also be used to describe a group of similar sized "worms" like Micro worms, Walter Worms, Banana worms, and even vinegar eels. All make great foods for fry.

IME they don't smell unless you don't re-culture often enough. Microworms need to be recultured about every 2 weeks or so to keep the culture fresh. When the culture is kept up I find it has a pleasant, sort of musty smell, not a great smell but not horrible. If properly contained (in a plastic container with a lid and air holes covered with paper towel) you won't smell it at all except when harvesting the worms.

My favorite size tank for spawning is 5 gallons. I've left the fry in that size tank for up to 4 weeks before transferring to a larger tank. This time around I'm transferring them around 7-14 days old because I think I'll see better growth. I'm going from a 5 gallon (filled) to a 10 gallon and then will start adding about 1/2 to 1 gallon of fresh water a day, once the tank is completely full (which will take around a week) I'll start doing 50%+ water changes daily.

When the spawn seems big for a 10 gallon (which I'm guessing is going to be somewhere around 6-8 weeks, maybe sooner) I'll transfer them to a 29 gallon grow out which is the largest tank I have right now.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #12 
fightergirl2710

Thanks 1fish! That method sounds doable! Do you just pour in the babies carefully or use some kind of net or siphon?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

I just slowly pour them in there. I don't think that water movement is going to do much harm to them, if any.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #14 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Hi guys, I'm currently doing a crazy load of research to understand how to breed my bettas and take care of fry. I have a few questions, they are about some things that I've heard locally, not online.. And a few that are just general clarifications.

1) Is monsoon a wrong time to be breeding my bettas? My lfs guy who is also a breeder said it would be difficult during this time. I plan on breeding sometime mid September when the rain is less.

2) He says microworms are not necessary for new born fry, they can't eat them.. Isn't microworms a good first food? I was going to use it as one with infusoria, he suggested using infusoria, eggwhite and powder food only. I'm confused.. Also exactly how bad does it smell? Will I get thrown out of my apartment for it? Lol!

3) Is a 5 gallon tank ok for breeding and rearing fry? I'm willing to get a bigger tank if absolutely necessary.

Thanks! I'll ask more as I go forward. :)
Microworms are very good for newly born fry.

1. they do not pollute the water like egg yolk would..
2. they can't swim so they just slowly float down to the bottom of the tank wiggling around, very easy for the fry to catch
3. they can survive for MANY hours at the bottom of the tank.. still wiggiling around...
4. live foods are best and fry also tend to take more bites at moving food than still food

as someone whos raised their fry much on microworms i can tell you they are a very nice food source.. i also mix in baby brine shrimp for my fry.. if you want your fry to grow fast.. newly hatch baby brine shrimp will do just that..

heres a video of me feeding my fry microworms when they were 2 weeks old.. they were fed mainly microworms the first 2 weeks before i switched to baby brine shrimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjTure7_UPE
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #15 
fightergirl2710

Thanks Moham. :D I checked out the video, the fry are really cute. :)
I was supposed to pick up my culture today but rains have blocked the trains. :( So I have to wait till the water subsides..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote