Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #11 
DragonFish

Hmm....tiny spiderweb-like things hanging from his rays? That sounds like some sort of external parasite, if I'm not mistaken....any chance you could get a close-up picture of his tail, to make sure its not just clear re-growth or just his rays?(Personally I also find it helpful for myself to get pictures when I have a sick fish; its sometimes easier to look at and identify the problem in a picture then a moving critter).

And you are very welcome. I'm glad to be of some help :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #12 
Omega3

It's not there right now. I have some anti-parasitic meds I can give him just in case. He unlcamped his fins yesterday evening and stayed unclamped all night. This morning he seemed a bit feisty so I put him in the 10G and he's slightly clamped again, but not like he was and he's still moving around. I'm just very paranoid about catching things early after all the problems my last fish had. This morning, he even attempted to eat, but spat the pellet back out. Hopefully he'll be hungry enough to eat something tomorrow or the next day.

I also have a question about water conditioner. How much is too much? I have the kind that doses 5mL/10G, but if I make partial water changes it's hard to measure correctly. Obviously it's better to keep all chemicals to minimum, but I'd still like to know, just in case I overdose a bit, which is easy to do when the measurements aren't accurate.
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #13 
Neil D

The spider web things could easily be growth in-between his rays.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Yes, it definitely could just be that Niel, thats what I was thinking...but if I recall there was also some kind of external parasite that looks like long strings hanging from your fish. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case, you know?

Hmm...I'd suggest keeping him in that 2.5 for more then just a day, even if he is starting to look better. Its a lot easier to keep an eye on him and keep his water clean in the smaller tank; I'd say wait a few days at least, a week to be safe, of stable, normal behavior(activeness, willing to eat, greeting you when you come to see him, no clamping, a bit more vivid color, maybe getting him to flare at his reflection a couple times)and no visible signs of illness before trying the 10 gallon once again.

Also, maybe look into cycling your 10 gallon without fish? You could easily keep him in the 2.5 while cycling, and once the 10 gallon is stable and cycled you could add him back in once again.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
^A nice little page that outlines the cycling process quite well.

Also, something I just thought of that I can't recall if I mentioned....what kind of hiding places/plants does he have in the 10? Bettas come from a dark, densely planted environment in the wild....without enough plants/caves they feel 'exposed' and therefore stressed....especially in a tank larger then 5 gallons, you'll want a lot of plants and caves to make him feel secure.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #15 
ANHEL123

I think it better to QT him until you will be sure he don't have Ich. And it easier for you to treat him if it is Ich . Also what if it is Ich and u put him in 10 gall then u will have Ich in the tank(10 gall). And you know if it Ick you can also treat it with with AQ salt. I have 2 cups method that you can do it in 10 gall actually. It very easy. I have Oldfishlady recommendations. Let me know if u want it.

Also i am wondering if u use magnifying glass would you see difference between parasites and cleared sticks of the redraws If it parasites is it moving?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

Sorry i meant cleared sticks of regrowth.....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote