Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #11 
smellsfishie

You're welcome! :) Any time... Lots of really nice people on this site happy to help.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #12 
fishcurl

Hi again! Just in case you didn't see my reply in the other thread, I'm reposting it here :)

A few notes:

- If you can afford it, a larger tank with a filter and a heater is recommended. Larger tank means more swimming room, hiding spots, and reduced maintenance. Everyone has their own opinions on minimum tank size. Personally, I wouldn't go for anything less than 2.5 gallons but that's just me :>

- Regardless, attention to water quality is THE most important thing to remember. In a 1 gallon UNfiltered tank it is recommended that you do 100% water changes every day or 50% one day, 100% next. Bigger tanks mean less water changes. For example, Oldfishlady (patron saint of betta fish on this forum) says that a 1.5 to 3 gallon filtered tank should have 50% water changes twice a week.

- A heater is also extremely important - even more so than a filter. Bettas are tropical fish and require a water temperature of 76 to 83 degrees. Depending on where you live, this may not be an issue (i.e., you live some place where it is that temperature year round).

- Invest in an in-tank thermometer - the floaty ones or the ones with the suction cup so that you can monitor the temperature. The ones that stick to the outside of the tank are inaccurate/hard to read.

- Betta's do not require much to eat - their stomach is roughly the size of their eyeball. Depending on the individual betta fish, they should be fed 4 to 5 pellets a day, spread out. In place of the pellet feedings, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms can be offered. These can be found at fish/pet stores, local or big chain ones like Petsmart. It is recommended that bettas have a varied diet of small quality meals throughout the day or as best you can according to your schedule. Live food is tasty to them, but it's not a requirement unless you're wanting to breed them. Also beware of freeze-dried food (not the same as frozen!) - it should only be offered occasionally (once a week) and in small amounts.

- Salt is not to be added to the tank unless you are treating them for a condition (see the Betta Diseases forum for more information). However, it is a good idea to have Aquarium Salt and Epsom Salt on hand in case you ever do need to treat Alec for something.

- For more information on setting up the tank and other Betta tips/info, read this excellent how-to article on your new betta.

- Good luck, and again, welcome! :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #13 
ecforgie

Ok, I have another question. (surprise!) Is there any kind of fish/shrimp/snail that I could add to my 1 gallon bowl as a tankmate for my betta without needing to buy extra supplies besides food? Or is it just too small for sharing?
ecforgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #14 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecforgie View Post
Ok, I have another question. (surprise!) Is there any kind of fish/shrimp/snail that I could add to my 1 gallon bowl as a tankmate for my betta without needing to buy extra supplies besides food? Or is it just too small for sharing?
It's really too small to share. If you want to add fish you'll need a 10 gallon tank, shrimps will be eaten because they have no hiding spots, and snails, I'm not sure, but yeah 1 gallon is really too small to share.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #15 
richardsmom

Same Boat

Hello, I am about in the same boat as ecforgie. i actually got my betta from a girl in my dorm because she was unable to bring him home last year. She had him since August of 2010 and he is still alive today.

He is currently in the small bowl that I had got him in and am looking to upgrade to a 1.5 gallon tank this week. So far the last year I have been leaving out water in a gallon container and using that to refresh and change my betta's water. I also have a lamp to regulate temperature of the water and I have a thermometer that I can keep check. Currently I change the water every 2-3 days, would a bigger aquarium, most likely without a filter, setting require more frequent water changes? I will probably get a heater since that seems to be a crucial point.

Richard, my betta, loves to make his bubbles and is usually very happy and responsive. I am hoping that getting him better plants, a toy, and a bigger area to swim will make him more happy. I am open to listening to suggestions but I have read the FAQ's and know what is "Ideally" suggested but am looking for some real practical college life situations.
richardsmom is offline   Reply With Quote